Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best way to back-up iPhoto library prior to update?

Am seeing this message when I try to open iPhoto, post-software update of last month.

I've been told I need to back up my iPhoto library prior to this update, but not sure what's the best way to do that.

I don't need to back up my whole system. Is there a way to choose just to back-up iPhoto when running Time Machine? Or, where can I access the folder that contains all my iPhoto images and just copy that to my external drive?

Ayy suggestions would be appreciative! THANKS!

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 27" iMac 2011

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 10:50 PM

4 replies

Feb 25, 2013 11:01 PM in response to LarryHN

But where is the iPhoto library for me to copy?

I can't remember where it is stored to drag and copy.

Even though I ran Time Machine late in December, and the images that I have uploaded are likely contained and safe, I unfortunately cannot see them because iPhoto isn't letting me until I update the images to be viewed with the newest version of iPhoto.

It's just something I haven't had to do before.

The main reason I don't want to run Time Machine for my whole system is because I don't think I have enough room on my external drive. I am hoping for a quicker drag and drop copy solution or a way to simply back-up iPhoto.

Can you clarify?

Feb 25, 2013 11:17 PM in response to Eric Swanger

Most Simple Back Up

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex:

Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically. Examples of such apps: Chronosync or DejaVu . But are many others. Search on MacUpdate

What's the best way to back-up iPhoto library prior to update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.