Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can a Snow Leopard client connect to a Lion Server?

I have an XSAN setup with two Mac Mini servers.

I have a few Xserve lying around and I want to make use of them.

One Duo Core which is not working at the moment. I think I can install Lion on that one? Right?

Then I have two G5 - none intel, which I'm thinking I'll reinstall Snow Leopard on and use them as clients.

Can they connect to a Lion Server? I have a few XSAN licenses left which I think I need for OS's older than Lion?

I short, can a Snow Leopard client connect to a Lion Server?

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 4:12 AM

3 replies

Feb 26, 2013 10:40 AM in response to Nerdfield

One Duo Core which is not working at the moment. I think I can install Lion on that one? Right?

You can't install Lion on a Core Duo-based system It requries Core2 Duo as a baseline. The Core Duo is a 32-bit chip whereas the Core2 Duo is 64-bit.

Then I have two G5 - none intel, which I'm thinking I'll reinstall Snow Leopard on and use them as clients.

Nope, again. Snow Leopard requires an Intel-based system. The highest you can go with the PowerPC machines is Leopard (10.5.x)

Can they connect to a Lion Server? I have a few XSAN licenses left which I think I need for OS's older than Lion?

This may be irrelevant given the above, but define 'connect' please. There are a myriad of ways of 'connecting' a client to a server. In many cases they don't have to be the same OS, platform, processor or anything else (how many web servers do you think are running Mac OS X to match your client?

Feb 27, 2013 5:33 AM in response to Camelot

I realize going from memory maybe wasn't the best way to start this thread.

The one Xserve that I thought I could install Lion on is a G5. So like you say, Lion will not work on that.

I'll tell you what setup we have now.

Two Mac Mini's working as MDC's for a shared volume with about ten Mac Pro connected.

We are a big company, but were I am we are just a small branch left to figure things out among ourselves...

Like now.

I need the Xserve to work as link between two separate networks.

Letting it share folders from the XSAN to the other network.

It's a little complicated to explain why we have to do it this way. Policies....

I need the Xserve to be able to mount a shared volume that is managed by the XSAN (Lion server).

Can Snow Leopard mount drives managed by Lion?

Feb 27, 2013 10:38 AM in response to Nerdfield

OK, that makes it clearer (and don't worry about having to explain the 'policy' - I come across that every day 😉 )

If I remember rightly, it's all down to the version of XSAN you're running.

XSAN 2.2 (and later) are Intel-only, and is the standard version for Snow Leopard.

Lion ships with XSAN 2.3, and Mountain Lion ships with XSAN 3.

XSAN 2.3 (Lion) supports XSAN 2.2.x (and later) clients only, which precludes PowerPC-based systems

So, if your XSAN is running 2.2 on Snow Leopard then you can still support PowerPC clients running XSAN 2.1.x, but if you upgrade the MDCs you'll lose support for the PowerPC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3755

Once you have that, there shouldn't be an issue mounting the XSAN volume on the XServe and resharing it over the network. Just bear in mind that you're basing this on 3+ year old software (XSAN 2.2) and 6+ year old hardware (PowerPC XServe).

can a Snow Leopard client connect to a Lion Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.