Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing transitions from imovie to final cut problems

Hello, I made a musicvideo in imovie, it´s all finished with cuts and transitions but I want to make the "final touch" with balance, colours etc in final cut.

The problem: when I import the imovie project into final cut pro x the clips and the transitions changes the duration so the clips nolonger sync with the music and some of the clips are much longer/shorter than the original. I don´t want to do all the job again, editing and add new transitions in final cut as it already took me a long time......Anyone have any solution?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 5:48 AM

3 replies

Feb 26, 2013 7:24 AM in response to BenB

You are supposed to be able to move a imovie project to final cut with transitions etc.

I´ve already once made the job in imovie and would prefer not to do it again since it then will be a new video with a new editing etc, I will not be able to make it the same way again, it´s a huge job when it comes to editing so I want to keep the video as it is just importing it to final cut.

Feb 26, 2013 8:56 AM in response to Jenholm

You can delete the transitions in iMovie and re-add them after importing into FCP X. Granted, this is some work, but it should not be all that much. It is easy to add a number of transitions and to set their parameters all at once.

Like BenB said, transitions behave differently in both programs, and they do not match, so this conversion can cause problems, as you are now well aware.

Importing transitions from imovie to final cut problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.