Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring data from mac 190 to G4

I have on older Mac laptop 190 with a scsi port and I want to transfer the data to a newer Powerbook G4 with a usb connections. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks for your help.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2013 12:18 PM in response to paulty2

An easy and fast way of transferring data from/to a PowerBook 190 is to use a standard CompactFlash memory card (in a PC Card adapter for CompactFlash). This is not expensive.

Put the PC Card adapter with the CompactFlash card in one of the PC Card slots. The CompactFlash card is PC-formatted when you buy it, but it can be reformatted to Mac. The result will be a removable "hard disk", which can even be made bootable (if it contains an appropriate system folder) on the PowerBook 190.

Just drag-copy files to/from the CompactFlash card.

If the PowerBook G4 has a PC Card slot, you can use the same PC Card adapter there. The 12" G4 model would require an external USB card reader.

Jan

Feb 26, 2013 6:41 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Good advice Jan.

I wasn't aware that the 190s had a pc card slot. My oldest Mac is a Powerbook 540c which has the pc card expansion module. I use the CF cards in an adapter just as you advised paulty2 for transfering files, backing up, and as a bootable drive. Like the current SSDs it is much faster than the internal HDD.

I also use the pc cards as a substitute for a CD that must be in place for a game to play. I use a utility to make all the invisible files visible and then copy everything to the card. It is recognized perfectly as a cd for Duke Nukem and VV.

Thanks for the info. 🙂

transferring data from mac 190 to G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.