Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two monitors, second insists on being startup

mac pro intell lots of ram, ata radeon 5770 3 port

monitor 1 kds, monitor 2 neovo

no mater how they are attached, the mac sees the smaller neovo as the "primary monitor" (yes the system prefs set the kds to main after start up)

the larger kds screen is desired to be the primary screen;

I mean this; when booting up, with 2 or 3 monitors, one of them will have the gray screen with the apple on it while setting system.

Problem is; when neovo is off, mac still 'sees' it and when system sleeps/ on wake, open folders will me 'moved' to the neovo screen, (where I can not see them unless I turn that monitor on)

5770 has dvi & 2 mini ports, have tried switching conections to no change....

anyone understand this well enough to explain it to me? is there a solution?

thanks,

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2010 8core

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 9:40 AM

11 replies

Feb 26, 2013 12:39 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

quote: I mean this; when booting up, with 2 or 3 monitors, one of them will have the gray screen with the apple on it while setting system. unquote

and

quote; (yes the system prefs set the kds to main after start up) unquote

so we see that the problem is after start up, and system sets kds to "main" and then if system sleeps - on wake up some things have moved to the neovo/ "second" screen // that is to say, on wake the system first loads everything as if neovo is first, then applies the sys prefs to make kds #1 and neovo #2.

= because on start up and on shut down, the mac refers to the neovo as the primary, aka the icon which dipicts start up and shut down opporations is on that monitor.

so why does the mac insist on that monitor? no matter which port that either is plugged into?

Feb 26, 2013 1:35 PM in response to kdjc95

The monitor with the "tiny white stripe" (which represents the MenuBar) is supposed to be the primary. It should get the Apple logo at startup and the MenuBar when running.

That information is typically stored in parameter RAM, so a SMC Reset and a PRAM Reset should be tried, followed by deliberately changing the primary display and saving the changes using System Preferences.

Feb 28, 2013 5:33 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for the suggestion;

result of reset & pram x2 / (and only reciently have checked- replaced the pram batt = new)

1. my mouse now functions as new, very responsive, was being intermittantly slow & jerky...

2. no change on screens.

I do repair permissions regularaly as well.

unplug, wait, boot with reset keys , verify screen alocation, put machine to sleep mode, wait 5, wake up with both monitors on =

both come on, kds has only background screen, neovo has all MenuBar, open windows, open programs.

within seconds the MenuBar and open programs jump to kds, however, open folder stayed on neovo.

Objective is that I dont need/ use the second monitor on a regular basis, so why have it draw power? and if open folders keep migrating there,

its just annoying and a challenge to curiosity.

Feb 28, 2013 6:26 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant,

I think it was you that came up with the trick of shorting out the battery cage, for example with a paper clip, when PRAM reset was not enough. (Years ago on a beige G3, I think?) Do you think that might be called for here?

kdjc95,

Please ignore this question to Grant. I am sure he will advice you if what I am remembering makes sense in this situation.

Feb 28, 2013 11:24 AM in response to kdjc95

Try deliberately changing the primary display and saving the changes using System Preferences.

By that I mean, open up the Arrange pane, and regardless of what it is set to, change it and save changes, then change it again and save changes. This helps assure that the parameter is not left alone, but is actively changed and then changed again.

Mar 2, 2013 4:44 PM in response to kdjc95

Update: a bit of wierdness, really I cant see how this applies BUT ;

I shut off my bluetooth mouse because it kept gradualy getting jittery, plugged in a wired mouse and the curser now moves as it should.

but also, as I often need to leave the room for a few hours, the computer sleeps. on wake with the blue tooth mouse there was the problems of screen --monitors seemed to be confused as to their assignments --

after switching to plugged in mouse, no more monitor issues. ?

something in the bluetooth system causing what? 👿

ok so I cleaned the mouse eye, checked the batteries and conections, when I put the bluetooth back on line all is well for a while, but especialy after a sleep - the curser begins to get jerky, ...

I like the magic mouse, so now do I get a bluetooth dongle and bypass the internal?

(( right, that change and change back makes sense too ))

Mar 4, 2013 6:09 PM in response to kdjc95

Yikes, another update;

the bluetooth magic mouse is fritzy, if it is the mouse or the blutooth in the Mac,

using a wired mouse

but the sleep to wake up is still there ...

for a while I thought it was the vid-card, but it has to be a software related thing. currently running 10.6.8 fully updated.

two monitors, second insists on being startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.