Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Spotlight bringing up alpha numeric codes for contacts, not names

435 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 20, 2006 6:30 PM by Dr. Smoke RSS
get_jr Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
May 17, 2006 7:47 AM
When I do a spotlight search on names, spotlight brings up long alpha numeric codes instead of the actual names of my contacts. If I click on the code, I am taken to the address book record of the contact.

Strange...

One code is:
4CDBA0BE-853D-11D9-9F1A-000D932E2424:ABPerson.abcdp

Anyone have an idea what this means and how to fix this?

Thanks

iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo   Mac OS X (10.4.6)   2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo   Mac OS X (10.4.6)   2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
  • Dr. Smoke Level 9 Level 9 (56,585 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2006 6:30 PM (in response to get_jr)
    Hi, get_jr. Welcome to the Discussions.

I presume you mean you are doing a Find (Finder > Command-F) search for:

Search location: Home (selected in top slice of Find window)
    Name: Contains: nameofperson

If you do it that way, you get the results you indicated as it's finding the extracted Address Book metadata entry that Spotlight uses to index Address Book contacts. Every Address Book contact is saved twice:

(1) Once in the Address Book database — which Spotlight cannot index.

(2) Again in a separate XML property list file — that Spotlight can index — in your Home > Library > Caches > com.apple.AddressBook > Metadata folder. Each Address Book contact saved in this format is given a specially generated file name that can also be used for syncing these entries with iSync and .Mac.

The reason you see the search results from Find is that the Name search criterion searches against the kMDItemDisplayName metadata attribute. For the text files of type (2) above, the value of the kMDItemDisplayName attribute is sent to the name of the person in the contact record. However, the search results show file names, as it is a Finder window, and hence displays the specially-generate file name, rather than the contact name, since that is the file name of the result.

If you search using the Spotlight icon for nameofperson it should return the Address Book contact using the person's name.

Good luck!

Dr. Smoke
    Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X
    PM G5 Dual 2.3GHz, iBook 700, 30-inch Cinema HD Display, more!, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.