Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5.1 Channel Surround from iMovie

Greetings,

I have some AVCHD video clips taken with my Sony Camcorder and already downloaded to my computer. I use ClipWrap to re-wrap the videos so that iMovie can at least import them into timeline (as iMovie does not natively support M2TS videos). So far so good, I can also make video edits and everything.

Now when it comes to sharing the final output movie, from the menu I use Share > Export Using QuickTime (I use this option because only this option lets me apply deinterlacing to my videos which I need) > Options > Sound > Settings. In the Sound Settings options panel, I do see various formats including Linear PCM, AAC etc, and in the Channels section I see 2 Discrete Channels, 2, Stereo (L R), and many other formats (like 5.1, 6.1 etc.) which are all grayed out. As a result the exported movie only gets 2 channels of audio.

My original source file contain 5.1 channel sound, so is it NOT possible to maintain the 5.1 channel audio while exporting a movie from iMovie 11 (version 9.0.8) using the above method I described? Is there an alternative method to export and maintain the 5.1 channel audio, or is it just not possible using iMovie?

Thank in advance.

iMovie '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 11:55 AM

If you need 5.1 surround sound, then I recommend Final Cut Pro X. iMovie will not do it.

4 replies

Feb 26, 2013 11:59 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Thanks for responding AppleMan1958, I kind of suspected that after reading through posts and loose articles, but I wanted to confirm if it indeed was the fact. It is really unfurtunate that a standard feature of any modern day camcorders like that is not supported by iMovie...

Since you seem to know about this topic, could you also let me know if I would have to spend many minutes if not hours while the video is needed to be analyzed after importing into FCP like I have to for iMovie?

Feb 26, 2013 2:53 PM in response to KodeSharp

iMovie and FCPX both offer transcoding of AVCHD to an editing codec. In iMovie, it is transcoded to Apple Intermediate Codec. In Final Cut Pro X, AVCHD is transcoded to ProRes 422. In Final Cut Pro X, you have the option of editing natively in AVCHD, but most Pros will transcode to ProRes 422, because speed and quality of editing is more important to a Pro than saving on disk space. For why this transcoding is done, see this post. https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3941

Both iMovie and Final Cut Pro X also can do analysis for stabilization, analysis for rolling shutter, etc. FCPX can also analyze for color, sound problems, and maybe more.

With Final Cut Pro, the transcoding and analysis do not slow you down, because it can happen in the background. You can start editing immediately.

Also, you mentioned that you are converting m2ts files for use in iMovie using ClipWrap. iMovie and Final Cut Pro X both handle m2ts from Sony quite well with no need for an external converter. So I assume you must be shooting 60P, which iMovie does not do. FCPX will import 60P with no need for an external converter.

Final Cut Pro X has similarities to iMovie, but it is much more complex, because you have fine control over everything. In addition to the $300 price tag, you might want to also budget for some training. There are good video-based training resources from Ripple Training, Larry Jordan, and also some free Tutorials on YouTube. THere are also good books on FCPX. The best books I have found are these from Edgar Rothermich -

http://www.dingdingmusic.com/DingDing/Manuals.html

Feb 7, 2014 2:51 PM in response to AppleMan1958

AppleMan 1958 - thanks for this information. Im still struggling with why I have no audio on stand alone m2ts files I am importing into FCPX. The video looks fine, but there is no audio available. They are 1080p and some of the files are 5.1 audio and some are 7.1. Ive read that these may need to be converted using seperate software to the Apple ProRes format, but after reading your post it sounds like that shouldnt be necessary. Any suggestions?

5.1 Channel Surround from iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.