Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you authorize a computer?

Help - the iTunes tutorial says to authorize computer, go to store and click on authorize computer. Can't find the link. Says if you can't find it, click on advanced. Can't find that either.

Arghh.

PC

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 10:53 AM

Authorization and Deauthorization

Macs: iTunes Store- About authorization and deauthorization.

Windows: How to Authorize or Deauthorize iTunes | PCWorld.

In iTunes you use the Authorize This Computer or De-authorize This Computer option under the Store menu in iTunes' menubar. For Windows use the ALT-S keys to access it.

User uploaded file

More On De-authorizing Computers (contributed by user John Galt)

You can de-authorize individual computers, but only by using those computers. The only other option is to "de-authorize all" from your iTunes account.

1. Open iTunes on a computer

2. From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."

3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password.

4. Under "Computer Authorizations" select "De-authorize All".

5. Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "de-authorize all" your authorized computers, re-authorize each one as required.

If you have de-authorized all computers and need to do it again, but your year has not elapsed, then contact: Apple - Support - iTunes - Contact Us.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2013 10:53 AM in response to danefinder

Authorization and Deauthorization

Macs: iTunes Store- About authorization and deauthorization.

Windows: How to Authorize or Deauthorize iTunes | PCWorld.

In iTunes you use the Authorize This Computer or De-authorize This Computer option under the Store menu in iTunes' menubar. For Windows use the ALT-S keys to access it.

User uploaded file

More On De-authorizing Computers (contributed by user John Galt)

You can de-authorize individual computers, but only by using those computers. The only other option is to "de-authorize all" from your iTunes account.

1. Open iTunes on a computer

2. From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."

3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password.

4. Under "Computer Authorizations" select "De-authorize All".

5. Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "de-authorize all" your authorized computers, re-authorize each one as required.

If you have de-authorized all computers and need to do it again, but your year has not elapsed, then contact: Apple - Support - iTunes - Contact Us.

Dec 25, 2015 7:02 AM in response to danefinder

The Apple website has got to be the absolute worst to try and navigate. NOTHING is user friendly. They had no problem taking my money when I purchase music but now they won't let me download the music I purchased. I get a pop up which states my new computer is not authorized to download however when I go to my account to delete the old computer and add my new computer it won't allow me to do that either.
I absolutely despise Apple's lack of ability to provide a user friendly website. Perhaps they should focus on getting that straightened out before adding new devices they won't service.

How do you authorize a computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.