Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did "purchased" songs go in 11.0.2?

I just updated iTunes to the newest version and I can longer see nor play the albums/songs I have purchased off of iTunes.

I have several computers and on this one I keep no songs on it, but for some time when 11 came out, I was able to play the purchased songs which I reckon were streaming from an iTunes server.

Where did this go in 11.0.2?

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 12:10 PM

12 replies

Feb 26, 2013 1:49 PM in response to jbartholomew

Purchased tracks do not stream from Apple unless you subscribed to iTunes Match. If you did not keep the tracks on that computer, you must have been streaming them from a shared library on one of your other computers. This may help you get that set back up:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2688

You may also just need to show the Sidebar - View menu -> Show Sidebar - so that you can see the shared playlists.

Regards.

Feb 26, 2013 6:08 PM in response to varjak paw

Thanks for the reply, but I think you are wrong.

I logged onto my windows comp to double check.

I can stream songs I purchased and I do not have the songs on my hard drive nor any other computer running with the songs (and I do not have iTunes match).

See my screenshot:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1885149/itunes.png

Song is playing; this is with itunes 11.0.0. On my mac I have iTunes 11.0.2 and can no longer do this.

I am wondering if this is a feature of iCloud I have to enable on my mac.

Feb 27, 2013 6:35 AM in response to jbartholomew

Again, the iTunes Store does not provide streaming unless you have subscribed to iTunes Match. Based on your screen shot, your tracks are local to that system. I would guess that you have iTunes set for automatic downloads of purchases from the iTunes Store and just didn't realize that they were indeed downloading to that system. Go to your Home folder and look in the iTunes/iTunes Media folder. I'll wager you'll find the track files there. Either that or you have iTunes on that computer mapped to a shared drive on another computer; you can check that in the Advanced preferences in iTunes.

Regards.

Feb 27, 2013 9:34 AM in response to varjak paw

varjak paw wrote:

Again, the iTunes Store does not provide streaming unless you have subscribed to iTunes Match. Based on your screen shot, your tracks are local to that system. I would guess that you have iTunes set for automatic downloads of purchases from the iTunes Store and just didn't realize that they were indeed downloading to that system. Go to your Home folder and look in the iTunes/iTunes Media folder. I'll wager you'll find the track files there. Either that or you have iTunes on that computer mapped to a shared drive on another computer; you can check that in the Advanced preferences in iTunes.

Regards.

Thanks for the reply, but again I must point out that you are wrong. I didn't "accidentally" download the purchases.

Luckily Jim solved this! Thanks Jim!

Just in case anyone reading this is interested, yes you can stream purchases in iTunes 11. I just didn't have the box checked on my Mac system like I did on my windows system.

Screenshot for those interested:

http://i.imgur.com/gPrRQw5.png

Feb 27, 2013 11:23 AM in response to jbartholomew

jbartholomew wrote:

I can now play all the songs I purchased (without downloading them locally).

Actually, you can't. The songs are still downloaded. They just aren't put in your itunes library. Instead, they're located in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/CloudPurchasesPlayCache. Go have a look. You'll notice if you "stream" a song, you'll see the download progress indicator in the iTunes display window at the top of your screen. The next time you play the song, you'll notice that indicator doesn't appear. This is because the song is downloaded and saved locally. 😝

I don't know how long that cache stays alive for, or if there are size restrictions. But, the songs/cache do survive quitting itunes and reboots.

In addition, if you do click the cloud icon, as if you were to download them, they'll be moved from that folder, rather than downloaded.

Feb 27, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Imp68

Imp68 wrote:

jbartholomew wrote:

I can now play all the songs I purchased (without downloading them locally).

Actually, you can't. The songs are still downloaded. They just aren't put in your itunes library. Instead, they're located in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iTunes/CloudPurchasesPlayCache. Go have a look. You'll notice if you "stream" a song, you'll see the download progress indicator in the iTunes display window at the top of your screen. The next time you play the song, you'll notice that indicator doesn't appear. This is because the song is downloaded and saved locally. 😝

I don't know how long that cache stays alive for, or if there are size restrictions. But, the songs do survive quitting itunes and reboots.

In addition, if you do click the cloud icon, as if you were to download them, they'll be moved from that folder, rather than downloaded.

You are absolutely correct!

I went in there and looked and it does seem to create a temp cache. It also seems once I hit play the whole song is downloaded.

The question is; how long does it remain on my harddrive?

Originally, what I meant by my quote was without actually selecting "download purchases" (or however it is worded). But you are certainly correct; touché my friend.

I tried restarting just to test if the "temp" cache will be erased and it has not. I also found that the full m4a songs are downloaded just with some long digit name like "0000000008CB7FF9-00000000000F4262-0000000000000002.m4a".

Very interesting stuff; so it is not actually streaming...hrmmmm; wonder how long it stays and if it even gets deleted automatically.

Where did "purchased" songs go in 11.0.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.