Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPhone 5 bought from UK in USA

Hello everyone..

I'm very confused here; I own an iPhone 5 which I have on O2. I bought it outright from the Apple Store in Belfast and just transferred my Business Sim to a Nano Sim and use that in the phone. I am going to the USA soon (Miami) to be a leader at a Summer Camp for 9 weeks and need to use my iPhone while I'm over there. I have been researching AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verzion all for prices, but I'm still very confused.. I want to call back to the UK for a low price, as well as use the web for WhatsApp and FB messenger etc. Will not be texting back to the UK. I need to know the answer to these questions:

1. When I put my O2 sim into my iPhone (which was bought sim free) does it lock to O2?

2. What carriers will support the UK iPhone 5 for LTE? Would like to try this feature out as Northern Ireland hasn't been hit with this yet (probaby never will until 2040 ffs) I understand Verzion will not work as it is CDMA.

3. What carrier would be most suited for using in Miami?

4. What would the best price plan be (e.g. is there such thing as a Sim-Only monthly rolling contract or prepaid plans with only sim cards?)

Thanks very much for your time!

Josh

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 4:39 PM

4 replies

Feb 26, 2013 6:48 PM in response to josh_e10

You cannot use Verizon, they are a CDMA carrier and your iPhone will not work on a CDMA network.

You will not get LTE access in the US, your iPhone does not support the LTE bands that AT&T utilize. T-Mobile has no current LTE network.

Your options are AT&T or T-Mobile, with T-Mobile you may only get EDGE access.

With AT&T you will at least get 3G access and 4G (HSPA+) in most major metropolitan areas.

May 2, 2016 10:14 AM in response to josh_e10

This is the list apple has on the site about which LTE working with US carriers. http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I am trying to figure this out myself and I still do not really understand if an unlocked IPhone purchased from Apple store locks onto the first network it uses or if you just swap to a US sim when in the USA and that will work. When I read the Apple information online it suggests a US Sim card will work in a UK phone. But the more I read the more questions I seem to have.

This site has some information along these lines, he mentions unlocking from O2. Also, it says the folks at the apple store can switch you from your UK network to the US, I think, but am still not quite clear, this site has more info.

http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/apple-iphone-when-sim-free-doesnt-mean-unlocke d

Using iPhone 5 bought from UK in USA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.