Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your photo library is damaged or unreadable and cannot be opened. Please restore from a backup.

When I open iPhoto UPDATING THUMNAILS appears, however a few second later--- Your photo library is damaged and could not be opened. Please restore from a back up -- comes up. If I get to cancel UPDATING THUMBNAILS before the next window comes up, iPhoto opens normally and all pictures are ok.

How do I get rid of this issue? I have tried to empty my iPhoto trash with abput 500 pictures/videos, but it seems to take longer than expected so i quit iPhoto.

Any suggestions?

Apple TV (2nd generation), iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 6:01 PM

1 reply

Feb 26, 2013 10:56 PM in response to JECHKAL

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Your photo library is damaged or unreadable and cannot be opened. Please restore from a backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.