Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does and how can I correct that find my iPhone shows the device I have in my hand as many miles away from where it actually is?

The find my iPhone app shows my iPad as miles away from where it actually is. Can this be fixed

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 6:53 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2013 5:50 AM in response to DarleneF

If you have the WiFi-only iPad your location is determined by the location of nearby WiFi routers. This is done by using a Apple location database which contains the MAC addresses of routers and their physical location. A MAC address is a unique number which is built-in to all network devices when manufactured. The Apple database is built and updated by Apple GPS-enabled devices (primarily iPhones) actually seeing your router and then adding/updating the router's location in the database.

Bottom line: Your Router or other nearby routers are not accurately located in the Apple location database.

Why does and how can I correct that find my iPhone shows the device I have in my hand as many miles away from where it actually is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.