Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 issues with MacBook Pro Retina - Fan randomly speeds up and USB3.0 Issues

So I just purchased a brand new MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.40GHz.

Randomly, when nothing but finder is open, the fans will spin at full speed.

I have opened every application on the machine including serato, ableton, photoshop, VLC playing a 1080P movie, iTunes playing music and youtube playing videos in 2 tabs - and the fans do not spin as fast at it does when nothing is open or running (confirmed with activity monitor too).

Secondly, once I eject a USB3.0 drive from the machine, I have to reboot the system before the drive can be mounted, or even recognized at all by the computer. (it does not even show up in disk utility till the reboot). this happens with 2 seperate USB3.0 external hard drives that work fine on other rMBPs. This happens with both usb ports too.

I have reset SMC, PRAM, ran all Apple updates as well as reinstalled the operating system (as well as booted from a known good system in target disk mode).

Please helpUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 9:41 PM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2013 10:01 PM in response to jeffrosun

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

Your Mac isn't working properly. The temperature of the MacBook Pro is completely normal, but your fans are running at a dangerous 6000 rpm. My advice is to take the Mac to an Apple Store or reseller and get your Mac repaired or replaced, because as I said, your MacBook has got a serious problem

2 issues with MacBook Pro Retina - Fan randomly speeds up and USB3.0 Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.