Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay over VPN or 3G ??

Hello to all.

is there any way to use airplay over 3G or over VPN?

if there is a rollout for this?

Thank you

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 2:51 AM

7 replies

Mar 3, 2013 7:30 PM in response to SparkyArtt

If you setup a VPN correctly then any remote devices will obtain an IP address within the subnet of your home/office network. As long as the following ports are open, you're idevice won't be able to tell the difference and you will be able to use your airplay connection over VPN:

Port NumberTypeProtocolRFCUsed by
80TCPHTTP2616AirPlay
443TCPHTTPS-AirPlay
554UDP / TCPRTSP2326AirPlay
3689TCPDAAP-iTunes Music Sharing / AirPlay
5297TCP--Bonjour
5289TCP / UDP--Bonjour
5353UDPMDNS-Bonjour / AirPlay
49159UDPMDNS (Windows)-Bonjour / AirPlay
49163UDPMDNS (Windows)-Bonjour / AirPlay

Sep 4, 2013 10:13 AM in response to SparkyArtt

My IT guy said it couldn't be done. However, I found a loophole by downloading (and paying for) Airparrot.

They offer a free download to try so you can give it a shot before you purchase.

Just so you all understand my setup and if this applies to you.

I have an office setup using a dynamic ip address, that through a third party I can tunnel into.

So you have to have your vpn set up first.

Then I used my cell phone as a wifi hotspot and tunneled through to my vpn from my Mac laptop.

Then, using Airparrot, I was able to find and use my Apple TV to present the laptop's screen onto the office's large screen monitor.

Look, this is not fast, and I am not streaming video. But this works for my purposes.

AirPlay over VPN or 3G ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.