9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2013 8:31 AM by charlesfromcorrales
charlesfromcorrales Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Why, suddenly, when I startup my iMac does the Dock not magnify or show the icon names when I wave the cursor over them? If I restar( at least twice) the Dock behaves normally.  Can I reset/restart Dock without having to restart the computer again?  I have zapped the PRAM and reset the SMC and repaired permissions and nothing seems to work except restarts.

iMac 320, 4 GB memory, ML

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Barry Hemphill Level 8 Level 8 (36,730 points)

Hello:

You might try trashing a couple of preference files and restarting:

com.apple.dock.db

com.apple.dock.plist

Barry

• charlesfromcorrales Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Barry, Been there done that and the only time this occurrs is when I start up in the morning. After I performed the suggestions you nmade and restarted the dokc was ok, but what about the next eim?

Hello again:

Hard to predict what will happen tomorrow

Trashing preference files sometimes fixes odd problems (OS X rebuilds those as needed on startup).

A workaround would be to put the iMac to sleep - not shut it down and restart.  I never shut my iMac down (unless I am leaving town for a few days).

Barry

Hey Barry,

Guess what?  After I reststarted gthe dock worked fine but I had no Mail (iCloud).  When the computer restarted and I went to Mail the offline symbol was in the inbox and I could not get it to respond.  It worled foine if I got on the iClound site and checkied my mail (where I found your response) but could not make the mail app work at all.  I restarted again to no avail.  I also noticed that when I restarted and tried to use something  I had to click on the item twuce to get to the window I wanted.  Do you think I need to clean install ML or would that do any good?

When I dumped the iCloud account and reinstalled it I got the same symbol in the inbox of Mail.  What is going on?  Every time I restasrt this computer something else pops up that either doesn't work or works differently than it did before.

Forgot to tell you I don't shut this thing off very often but when I do and restart it it should not be aproblem as I see it.

C

Hello:

A "clean install" should be, IMHO, reserved for disasters.  I have never done one since I began using OS X years ago.

The Mail problem is different from the other one.

I would delete the account from the Mail application, restart, and then enter it back in again.

Barry

I'll try your suggestion  and let you know what goes on.

Thanks Barry,

Mail worked OK this time.  Why does it do that>  Any ideas? And what makes the other startup problem raise it's ugly head?

Hi:

The start up thing might have been a corrupted preference file issue.  The mail thing is a mystery.  I had that same thing happen once, an I corrected it by doing what I suggested to you.

Those things, however, should not re-occur on a frequent basis.

Barry

Hey Barry,

sometimes in the past month or two I wish I had not updated to ML and stayed with Lion.  TYhe new stuff in ML: is nice though so I'll probably keep with it for now.  Appreciate your help.  I now live in New Mexico  but used to lkive in upper Minnesota not far from Wisconsin.  Glad I am here in the "warm" part of the country right now though.  Cheers and thanks again.

C