Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AutoFill Fix for iOS Safari - SOLVED

Hi, as I'm new in Mac world I have lots of stuff to learn, but here's one for the comunity.

AutoFill is great, but it has its difficulties when multiple keyboard are being used. So I had "Auto-Correction" switched off. This simple from first view unrelated option disables "AutoFill" in Safari, even tho, "AutoFill" button remains active/unactive all the time, but never works when pressed.

So, check Settings > General > Keyboard for Auto-Correction On/Off. No restarts needed, but do, if won't function at first.

I hope this helps and if not, let me know.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2, 32 GB

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 6:33 AM

22 replies

Mar 2, 2013 6:49 AM in response to cabavyras

Thanks, cabavyras. Turning off AutoFill, turning on AutoCorrect, turning AutoFill back on did the trick for me. No restart, reboot, restore or reset necessary. The best news: I was then able to turn AutoCorrect back on and AutoFill still works. Your solution took me only a minute or so and I seem to be back where I was before I updated my iPhone. Thanks so much!

May 20, 2013 6:28 AM in response to judygr

Turning Autocorrect back off disables Autofill for me :(

This is supremely annoying. Having to choose between the convenience of Autofill and the absolute garbage that is AutoCorrect is very frustrating. In some ways, knowing that this is a bug and not an intentional disabling of the autofill feature by Apple for security reasons is even worse. Apple, please fix this bug!

Jun 6, 2013 10:37 AM in response to cabavyras

There's maybe even a better workaround: Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts. I have 15 of them :) magic!

Hi Cabavyras~

I have quite a long story, but I would rather not get into it if I can help it. I, too, have had no autofill since one of the last two updates. It's frustrating and I think I've tried almost everything. I have an iPad 2, 64GB, wi-fi and 3G.

Are you suggesting that I delete my shortcuts to get it to work? I've just shut off "auto-correction", but after reading more of the above posts, I'm not sure if I should have left it on...Private browsing is turned off and always has been. All my autofill info. in settings seems correct and are on.

Can you please help me? Thank you very much.

Jun 6, 2013 11:56 AM in response to flowerchild1121

There's no solution for this problem. I have reported this issue to the apple care team.

The problem is very simple, turning off auto correct, disables autoFill. When I think logicaly, I can find a connection where autoFill enters text automatically by using auto correct functionality once auto correct is disabled, autoFill can't function. That's all.

Shortcuts have nothing to do with this actual problem, they are some sort of work arround for replacing auto correct function.

Private browsing is obvious to disable autoFill, how else it would be private, if you could extract data from contacts. Logical, yes?

This is shame, how Apple programmer missed this issue for more than two years.

Jun 8, 2013 4:03 PM in response to Will-H

Hi, Will, obviously, you haven't read everything here as your case was already explained. Of course it works for you, because you haven't closed your Safari app, so Safari kept old "settings" in cache/memory (whatever) and that's why it works for you know (I mean with auto correct off). Once you close Safari from multitask bar – BAM.... Trust me...

Jun 8, 2013 5:12 PM in response to cabavyras

I tested closing all open pages in Safari, then closing Safari from the taskbar as you said, then cleared the History in Safari settings, then turned off phone and restarted 10 min later - all my webpages are still autofilling with my id and password as before. Closing Safari had no effect for me on the saved credentials. I did notice it doesn't autofill for some things like the Paypal app, because of how they have it setup. But for this Apple site, gmail, and many others that have two fields that are textboxes for id and password autofill works fine.

AutoFill Fix for iOS Safari - SOLVED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.