Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the Macbooks Superdrive Dual Layer????

Hello,

is the Macbook's Superdrive able to write DoubleLayer?

ibook G4 800 MHz 12", Mac OS X (10.3.9), DVD-DualLayerWriter

Posted on May 17, 2006 10:32 AM

29 replies

May 17, 2006 1:19 PM in response to Kaega

The drives on the new 17 inch Macbooks is dual
layered.

That is incorrect.

Here is the information directly from Apple's site:

Slot-loading SuperDrive with double-layer read support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW): writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 4x speed, writes DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs at up to 4x speed, reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 10x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed

Notice it says "with double-layer read support". That means Read Only.

It does not write to DL disks. The formats it supports writing to are only the standard R/RW no DL is listed.

May 25, 2006 2:56 AM in response to civi

If it was Dual Layer I would have one by now.
I burn DL Discs on my iMac just about every other day. I would love to be able to do that while I am out on the road with my laptop.

I bet it comes out in the next MacBook release. Apple always holds back and adds more to the systems once the early adapters are done with thier buying frenzy.

May 30, 2006 7:49 PM in response to Carl Jabido

Funny, Sony has laptops that are 0.83" deep, and they have DL burners:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/BBBrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=hid_txspecs

The Macbook is 1.08" thick see:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

So, how can it be "too thin"?

Also Sony has laptops now with blueray burners, crazy, huh?

The reason given back when the 15" MacBook Pro was
released was that the system is so thin that there
are simply no slot loading Double Layer DVD-R drives
that thin right now.

Jul 3, 2006 5:34 PM in response to Smithenguan

The distinction being discussed here refers to the ability to burn, not read, so while yes, most DVD Videos are dual layer, not all media that can be burned, or all burners are. They all can read dual layer, but not burn to it.

I believe the size issue comes from the fact that the thinner drives take up more depth/width than the thicker drives. That is why only the 17" MBP has one, it has more extra space below the keyboard due to the extra largeness of the screen being matched by the body of the computer. Thus currently the 15" MBP and the MB line do not have that option.

Is the Macbooks Superdrive Dual Layer????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.