Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleWorks database behaves strange

Hi all, you are my last hope!

For many years we use an AppleWorks database to print out lists for our school. There are some 300 entries, about 25 layouts and some rules. It is running on an iMac (15" early 2003) with OSX 10.4.11, AW is 6.2.9.

The strange thing is, when adding a new entry to the database, it shows three times in all lists that wound contain this entry. When I delete one of these three, all of the disappear.

I did reinstall AW, tried to run the database on different machines with different OSXes. The problem is still present.

Now I'm stuck, and we all know we should have upgraded a while ago! But now we have to stick to it for another year.

I'm pretty positive, the problem lies in the database itself, not AW. But I have no clue about what to do.

Thanks for reading and hopefully for THE solution.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 10:28 AM

Hi glanz,

I'd start with the basic trouble-shooting actions. Quit Appleworks before doing the first two.

• Delete the Recent items folder (or most of its contents).

You'll find this folder at:

username > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points > Recent Items.

The items in this folder are aliases (pointers) the the named files, not the actual files. Deleting the aliases does not affect the actual files.

• Delete the preferences and cache files.

AppleWorks keeps a set of preferences files for each user, found here:

username > Library > Preferences:

In the Preferences folder, find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist

Still in the Preferences folder, find and open the folder AppleWorks.

In this AppleWorks folder, there are two preferences files and two cache files:

AppleWorks 6 Assistants Cache

AppleWorks 6 Button Bars

AppleWorks 6 Preferences

AppleWorks 6 Translators Cache

It is usually safe to leave the Button Bar file, unless you have noticed issues that appear to be related to the Button Bar.

Trash the Preferences file and the two cace files.

AppleWorks will build new, clean copies of thesse files as they are needed.

Those two actions will clear many issues affecting ApppleWorks.

Regarding your Database file itself:

There are several courses of action. With ALL of them, start by making a backup copy of the current file (and any other AW files used). Use the copies for these steps.

Try saving your file (Save As...) as an AppleWorks 5 document. The Close the document, and Open the AW 5 version. The translation will drop any features not supported in AppleWorks 5, but also resolves some issues with the behind the scenes pointers in the file, which may be all that's needed.

If you have a previous copy of the DB file, saved before the multiple copies of new records started appearing, open that copy, Save As... with a new name, then transfer the data from the missing records into the newly named file and Save.

Export the data from your current file by doing Save As... and choosing ASCII Text as the file format.

Open an earlier copy of the DB file, delete all the records, then Save As... changing the file name.

Drag the text file onto the (empty) DB document's page and drop it. (not tested) OR Open the text file into a Spreadsheet or Word Processor document. Select All, Copy, then Paste into the (empty) DB document. (done in the past, but not recently tested).

Export the data as above.

Open a New DB file and delete the existing record.

Drag and drop (or copy/paste the contents of) the text file into the new DB.

Disadvantage: This will create a new DB file, but will lose field names, formatting, all layouts, and the formulas in all calculated fields, leaving a great deal of work to be done to restore the DB to its current functionality.

Going forward:

Backup. Backup. Backup.

Keep a rotation of at least three recent versions of the file. If/When AppleWorks crashes, restart, reopen the files and immediately Save As, using a new name (I've just added an a, b c, etc. to the end of the filename for each new version. Last year, a membership list I maintain was on version f by the end of the year. For the current year (which starts in September), I'm on version c.

Regards,

Barry

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2013 10:28 AM in response to glanz

Hi glanz,

I'd start with the basic trouble-shooting actions. Quit Appleworks before doing the first two.

• Delete the Recent items folder (or most of its contents).

You'll find this folder at:

username > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points > Recent Items.

The items in this folder are aliases (pointers) the the named files, not the actual files. Deleting the aliases does not affect the actual files.

• Delete the preferences and cache files.

AppleWorks keeps a set of preferences files for each user, found here:

username > Library > Preferences:

In the Preferences folder, find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist

Still in the Preferences folder, find and open the folder AppleWorks.

In this AppleWorks folder, there are two preferences files and two cache files:

AppleWorks 6 Assistants Cache

AppleWorks 6 Button Bars

AppleWorks 6 Preferences

AppleWorks 6 Translators Cache

It is usually safe to leave the Button Bar file, unless you have noticed issues that appear to be related to the Button Bar.

Trash the Preferences file and the two cace files.

AppleWorks will build new, clean copies of thesse files as they are needed.

Those two actions will clear many issues affecting ApppleWorks.

Regarding your Database file itself:

There are several courses of action. With ALL of them, start by making a backup copy of the current file (and any other AW files used). Use the copies for these steps.

Try saving your file (Save As...) as an AppleWorks 5 document. The Close the document, and Open the AW 5 version. The translation will drop any features not supported in AppleWorks 5, but also resolves some issues with the behind the scenes pointers in the file, which may be all that's needed.

If you have a previous copy of the DB file, saved before the multiple copies of new records started appearing, open that copy, Save As... with a new name, then transfer the data from the missing records into the newly named file and Save.

Export the data from your current file by doing Save As... and choosing ASCII Text as the file format.

Open an earlier copy of the DB file, delete all the records, then Save As... changing the file name.

Drag the text file onto the (empty) DB document's page and drop it. (not tested) OR Open the text file into a Spreadsheet or Word Processor document. Select All, Copy, then Paste into the (empty) DB document. (done in the past, but not recently tested).

Export the data as above.

Open a New DB file and delete the existing record.

Drag and drop (or copy/paste the contents of) the text file into the new DB.

Disadvantage: This will create a new DB file, but will lose field names, formatting, all layouts, and the formulas in all calculated fields, leaving a great deal of work to be done to restore the DB to its current functionality.

Going forward:

Backup. Backup. Backup.

Keep a rotation of at least three recent versions of the file. If/When AppleWorks crashes, restart, reopen the files and immediately Save As, using a new name (I've just added an a, b c, etc. to the end of the filename for each new version. Last year, a membership list I maintain was on version f by the end of the year. For the current year (which starts in September), I'm on version c.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 27, 2013 2:04 PM in response to glanz

All I can say is that many years ago I had an AW database go corrupt on me, and I can feel your pain. I ended up being unable to save it or modify it, and I had to export as text and rebuild the database from scratch. It was only names and addresses, not calculations, but it was still a right royal pain to put right. After that, as Barry advises, I backed up, and backed up, and backed up...

Mar 11, 2013 9:44 AM in response to Barry

Hi Barry, with your suggestions and some tinkering I reached my goal. Step 1 alone didn't work, but AFTER I had saved the DB file in AW 5 format, I deleted the pref files and the caches. Only then, the newly opened DB file did response as expected, I was able to add new entries again.

Thanks so much for your help!

AppleWorks database behaves strange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.