Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office for Mac 2011 very slow

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion shortly after it came out, Office for Mac 2011 has become a real pain to use. I can use Excel or Word once without a problem, however, after that opening another Office document takes about ten minutes or will not open at all. Closing and reopening Office does not fix it either. I must completely restart my iMac.

I have been thru all the Forum threads I can find and implemented them. These include deleting problem fonts from the Font Book and reinstalling Office. I still have the problem.

All updates are current.

If anyone has other ideas how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate comments.

Thanks.

iMac 27"

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 9:34 AM

Reinstall Office.

Use this method (per Microsoft) to remove it and don't omit any parts of the procedure.

24 replies

Feb 27, 2013 2:23 PM in response to Csound1

One of the things I previously did was a Microsoft-recommended process with a "do not skip any steps" caveat like this. I did ALL the steps and it did not fix the problem. The link you sent seems to have several additional steps that I do not remember. So, maybe this will work. I will try it. Perhaps what I tried before was an older Microsoft process.

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2013 5:05 AM in response to Csound1

I discovered I had bookmarked the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article #2398768, the same one you referenced above. Since I bookmarked it I am pretty sure I used the process.

Among my numerous efforts to fix my Office problems I definitely ran "Remove Office 2011 Uninstaller.pkg" which I downloaded and still have. It was supposed to remove all elements of the Office install but had the usual caveat that there was no guarantee. It is remotely possible I discovered the Knowledge Base Article later and just bookmarked it for future reference.

I believe the whole process took almost two hours on my last effort. This was largely due to the reinstall recommendation of rebooting after installing every Office update.

I don't know, I guess I will try the Knowledge Base article process on the small chance that I did not do it already. I need to do something because based on how I use Office the current slow load/no load problem is a real issue for me.

Feb 28, 2013 7:43 AM in response to Csound1

I just removed Office per your procedure and reinstalled. Knock wood, my quick test seems to indicate this may finally be fixed.

At this point, I don't think I used this removal process before. I must have spotted it later and just bookmarked it. I know I did use the .pkg approach. As you say, it doesn't work. As I worked thru your process just now I realized that some of the things I did before were not done in the same way, e.g., trashing the entire MS Fonts folder. Also, I did not empty the Trash before which is one of the things your process requires.

So, thanks for your help. I will give it a little more time before I click "This solved my question" to credit your response.

BTW, do you know if the MSUserData Folder that the process has you move to the desktop can be put back now? I see there is a new one in place from my reinstall but it would be MS default stuff. I don't think I had any custom settings or templates anyway, however.

Thanks again.

Feb 28, 2013 8:06 AM in response to drifteryank

drifteryank wrote:

BTW, do you know if the MSUserData Folder that the process has you move to the desktop can be put back now? I see there is a new one in place from my reinstall but it would be MS default stuff. I don't think I had any custom settings or templates anyway, however.

Thanks again.

Don't trash the User Data folder on the desktop, it contains all the data that was in Outlook, you can import your stuff into the new installation, then you can trash it.

Mar 1, 2013 5:04 AM in response to Csound1

After a day's use it looks like I am good to go with Office once again operating normally. I clicked "This solved my problem" to credit you.

Regarding your Outlook comments, I agree. I didn't like it when I had to use it at work. But I don't use it at all at home. I would just as soon it was not even loaded on my Mac but MS recommends that you not try to exclude it as part of the Office suite installation. I have been having enough problems with Office on the Mac and am not inclined to go against their recommendations. So, it just sits there taking up disk space.

Mar 31, 2013 4:43 AM in response to Csound1

I don't know what was open when this occured yesteday. I had to restart the computer to be able to do anything. Usually I have Chrome and Safari running side-by-side on my 27" screen and I usually have Word and/or Excel open.

One thought your question brings is that I may have had Dropbox open at least part of the time when the problem occured. However, lately I have been keeping it closed unless I am using it. And, I have changed its setting so it does not automatically start when the computer boots. It has been id'd as causing freezing problems with some apps such as Finder. That is another problem I have had but seem to have fixed by rebuilding the LaunchServices register with Onyx.

I will have to double-check the Activity Monitor the next time this happens. Your idea about testing under a new admin. user is also good.

Guess I will wait before redoing the procedure to purge and reinstall Office until verifying the above.

Thanks much.

Office for Mac 2011 very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.