Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's best practice to make batteries last longer?

Hi I've recently had to replace my Macbook Pro 6,1 (Mid 2010) laptop battery, it had about 440 cycles. I'm not that keen on having to fork out for another one in the future. So what's the best way to keep your macbook pro battery in good condition, regarding leaving it plugged into the mains, running it down to 0% every so often?

I've read so many conflicting views, some exact opposites.

Cheers for any advice.

Jon

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 6,1

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 9:10 AM

Leave it plugged in 100% of the time and only let the battery cycle once a month or by accident or rare use.

I have a cycle count of 14, it's "Normal", a 97% charge and the machine is over 26 months old.

I actually beleive now the more one cycles the battery and the lower the remaining power it has when it's recharged, the more it wears it out.

What will kill Mac laptop before the battery is the small vents at the back of the fans that get clogged with dust bunnies, that will cause the machine to overheat and draw more power on battery etc. wearing them out faster.

Also using the built in keyboard/trackpad, the Superdrive as a mega cd burner and high use of the Ethernet, audio and USB ports tripping over their cables.

Use wireless and replaceable external devices as much as possible.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2013 9:10 AM in response to awegawevgr

Leave it plugged in 100% of the time and only let the battery cycle once a month or by accident or rare use.

I have a cycle count of 14, it's "Normal", a 97% charge and the machine is over 26 months old.

I actually beleive now the more one cycles the battery and the lower the remaining power it has when it's recharged, the more it wears it out.

What will kill Mac laptop before the battery is the small vents at the back of the fans that get clogged with dust bunnies, that will cause the machine to overheat and draw more power on battery etc. wearing them out faster.

Also using the built in keyboard/trackpad, the Superdrive as a mega cd burner and high use of the Ethernet, audio and USB ports tripping over their cables.

Use wireless and replaceable external devices as much as possible.

What's best practice to make batteries last longer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.