Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Bootcamp on 3 TB hard drive. Disk partition order?

I've had issues installing Windows 7 on my i5 imac from 2011 with Bootcamp.

There is currently a 3TB hard drive installed, and I am trying to get Bootcamp to install Windows 7 from a CD. It will install, but it will never boot Windows afterwards.

I tried restoring the drive's partitions, and repartitioning based on an article I read so that Windows (BOOTCAMP) would be in the 4th partition. However, now when I try that (using disk utility) it puts it as 'disk0s6'.

I get these messages about the current setup:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 1.0 TB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 750.0 GB disk0s6

5: Apple_HFS Mac Data 1.2 TB disk0s5

/dev/disk1

0: CD_ROM *3.7 GB disk1

/dev/disk2

0: Apple_partition_scheme *17.4 MB disk2

1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Flash Player 17.3 MB disk2s2

Can someone help?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB Ram

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 11:22 AM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2013 11:28 AM in response to saladino

Boot Camp Assistant will only create a valid partition on a disk drive that has no other partition except the one for OS X. Once the Boot Camp partition is created you cannot create additional partitions on that drive. This is clearly spelled out in the Boot Camp Assistant documentation.

If you wish to install a Windows partition on a drive with other partitions besides the OS X one, then you need to make use of other boot managers such as The rEFInd Boot Manager or Boot Runner.

Installing Bootcamp on 3 TB hard drive. Disk partition order?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.