Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does auto-brightness drain more battery life?

iPhone 5

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 12:57 PM

I just tested my phone and this is what I found:

With the phone being fully charged (100%) in the morning, and the phone usage about the same**

Yesterday, with auto-brightness ON, at 2:40pm, my phone was at 58%.

Today, with auto-brightness OFF, at 3:40pm, my phone was at 75%.

Both times phone was kept indoors in an office, not outdoors with sunlight.

Clearly, there is a huge difference to the battery life.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2013 12:57 PM in response to amy_lou

I just tested my phone and this is what I found:

With the phone being fully charged (100%) in the morning, and the phone usage about the same**

Yesterday, with auto-brightness ON, at 2:40pm, my phone was at 58%.

Today, with auto-brightness OFF, at 3:40pm, my phone was at 75%.

Both times phone was kept indoors in an office, not outdoors with sunlight.

Clearly, there is a huge difference to the battery life.

Feb 27, 2013 12:16 PM in response to radrevolution

It uses more battery than if you have auto-brightness off and the brightness level is set to very low

Basically, it depends on how often you're in dark areas versus light ones... if you're in the dark all the time, your auto-brightness will cause your phone to be very bright all the time, so it will use a lot of battery. However, if you're always using your phone outside in the day, your auto-brightness will make your phone have a dim screen which would use very little battery life comparatively.

Aug 1, 2014 9:28 AM in response to radrevolution

YYes Amy is wrong about this, your iPads auto brightness increases in sunlight and darkens in the dark to stop glare, it is not competing with another light source so it dims.

in the house I get 10-12 hours with my iPad Air

outside I nearly get 8 hrs.

my ipad Airs battery life is terrible though, my iPad 2 regularly gets 15-18 hrs even now it's two years old.

Aug 1, 2014 10:52 AM in response to h4ndcrafted

h4ndcrafted wrote:

YYes Amy is wrong about this, your iPads auto brightness increases in sunlight and darkens in the dark to stop glare, it is not competing with another light source so it dims.

Amy may have been incorrect about when auto-brightness causes brightness to go up or down. However, she was correct that leaving the phone set on auto-brightness uses more battery life than turning it off and setting brightness down fairly low.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.