Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer doesn't "see" my iPhone when plugged in

First, I have an iPhone 4. I have this new computer and I'm having to re-install all my software. When I click "Add files to library", I don't see my plugged-in iPhone in the list of drives, though I hear Windows 7 *bong* when I plug it in. I don't think this has happened before. Is there some setting I need to adjust or something? I can't transfer anything off my iphone if my computer won't even recognize it. I installed Flash and Java, but neither seem to have anything to do with this problem. Incidentally, I plugged in my external hard drive, and it got recognized fine. I also don't see the iPhone in Windows Explorer as an extra drive or anything.

I uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it. I got this error:The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes.

I've been researching this issue for two days online. I've uninstalled/installed iTunes four times, and also installed the Gears software that I read was supposed to add drivers or whatever to fix this. That was a bust. I also can't get my computer to recognize my iPhone anymore - it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer or iTunes as a device that's been plugged in.

I also went into the registry to add a file suggested at the following link, and rebooted - with zero success.
http://blog.callageek.com.au/2012/03...-when-opening/

All this is after I had to have a new hard drive reimaged. Before, I transferred between my iPhone and laptop fine. I've been at this for days now and I'm wasting tons of valuable time looking for a solution. To be honest, if I had known Apple's products were so hard to make function, I would have gone with an Android or Galaxy.

iPhone 4

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 12:30 PM

24 replies

Mar 1, 2013 8:12 AM in response to Crunchyhippo

Addendum:

Update: I uninstalled everything to do with Apple, Bonjour, or Quicktime that I could find. I then tried to download iTunes again, but I got the error shown on the screenshot. I've been googling until my face is blue, and nothing seems to work. Suggestions would be welcome.

I would have inserted an image, but the "insert image" button stayed grayed out. It wasa "could not open key" error.

Mar 1, 2013 1:21 PM in response to Crunchyhippo

Your iOS device will not appear on your computer like a hard drive or thumb drive. The fact that you hear the bong indicates that it is recognized.

Download and install iTunes 11 on your computer. Start iTunes and use the View menu to View Sidebar.

Connect your iPhone to your computer. It should show up in the sidebar in iTunes. Select the phone, then select which items you want to sync to your phone. Go from there.

Aug 18, 2013 3:31 PM in response to Crunchyhippo

My girlfriend had this same issue. It ended up being her cable.

It was very weird and confussing as the first cable would allow the phone to show up on my laptop but not my girlfriends. So we thought the cable was fine.

Further the first cable would allow the iPhone to sync with itunes on her laptop but not show up in her "My Computer."

By chance we tried a different cable and it worked fine on her laptop and instantly showed up in her "My Computer."

All very weird but try a couple different cables and see if that fixes the problem first before resorting to other time consuming steps.

My computer doesn't "see" my iPhone when plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.