Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a PS3 Controller on a Macbook

I need some help in configuring and using a PS3 Controller with a Macbook Pro

I have both a generic dual-shock PS3 controller and a genuine Sony Dual shock 3 Six Axis controller and I am unable to get either to connect and work with my Mid 2010 macbook pro. I am running OS 10.8.2.

I've searched around Google and all of the bluetooth pairing guides say that when it is detected it will ask for an access code and to enter 0000. Both of my controllers however apear as keyboards and give me a pre determined codes that I can't enter.

When attached to the usb cable both controllers appear in gamepad companion and joystick mapper. However When I activate a profile in joystick mapper nothing happens. In Gamepad companion the pointer arrow moves to the upper-right corner or my screen and stay there,

I really don't care rather it is bluetooth or connected via usb I just want to be able to use it for a number of FPS games such as COD 2, 4, and BO. Borderlands 2, etc.

Any guides that will allow this to work and instructions on mapping the buttons etc. would be greatly appreciated. I have spent several weeks working on this and I have read a ton of stuff on-line and I am getting nowhere. Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 3:43 PM

7 replies

Mar 25, 2013 3:26 AM in response to jnicholes

Try pressing the PS button for 2-3 seconds with Bluetooth on and discoverable before you plug into your MB. When the lights flash, plug it in and press the PS button for 2-3 seconds again. You may need to open System Prefs and click the settings cog below your listed devices in the Bluetooth pane. Once the controller is recognized, click the settings cog and click "add as favorite" & "update services". It should auto pair now whenever you press the PS button when BT is on. I play Borderlands 2 on my 2011 MBP with a PS3 controller. It was a huge chore to find the solution but, heres what I did. Purchase Joystick Mapper, open it, have the controller on. In the menu bar under File, click load examples. Theres a bunch of pre-defined settings for both the PS and XB360 controllers. Some for using as a mouse, First Person Shooter, games that use keys & mouse and so on. I pulled the PS3 FPS example and cloned the example as to not delete the original. Labeled it Borderlands 2 and turned down the sensitivity on the Axis'. They were way to touchy for me. Its not perfect for me yet BUT, it works completely. The Use or E button is actually the Left D-Pad but, its not that odd. It also will give you a good idea on how to do it for other games. Just make a profile for each one. Clone that and then tweak it to your liking. Good luck!

Dec 3, 2013 11:42 PM in response to jnicholes

Original Poster, I'm in your same boat- my generic PS3 controller does not pair with my computer, because when it attempts to pair, the computer recognizes it as a keyboard and requests that I type letters to finish the pairing.

I believe strongly that both controllers you are using are generic, even though you think one is real. This site (ebay guide) breaks down how to spot a fake.

Look on the bottom of your controller. What EXACTLY is the name printed on the bottom of the controller? This site goes into detail ways to hack the pairing annoucement to stop showing.

Apr 6, 2014 10:34 AM in response to mdeeq0

Well I just configured my joysticks to be move/aim repspectively, then chose which trigger i wanted to shoot with and which trigger to Aim with. Then I chose which joystick I wanted to click for Melee and which to click for Sprint. Then I made O the pickup/action button and x the jump button, then i figured out where to put whatever is left.

Using a PS3 Controller on a Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.