Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 won't charge to 100% overnight.

I have had my iPhone 5 for about a week and it won't charge to 100% overnight. I plug it in before I go to bed with usually less than 20% battery left and when I wake up (8hrs later) its at no more than 87%. I've switched cords and that didn't help but when I'm at work and using the phone off and on throughout the day it will charge to 100% with no problem. It's actually like its hung up on a percent when I wake up because I have used the phone for an hour and it will still be on 87% and after a hard reset it dropped down to 78% and began functioning normally until I once again plugged it in overnight and the same thing happened again. Anyone else having this issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 2:29 PM

4 replies

Apr 10, 2017 7:44 AM in response to bradlmullins007

I too have the same issue. Currently running 10.2.1 iPhone 5. All 100% certified apple charger and cable. The phone will be at 20% and I'll plug it in overnight. In the morning it is at 83%. However, if I plug it into my laptop I can get it to 100%. It is not the cable, as that I've used it in both instances of charging. So if it is a hardware issue, it is pointing to the charging block. If it is Software, then it could be something with IOS 10.2.1. It would be a great addition for a diagnostic battery app (from Apple) to come with the IOS and base programs. Make batteries changeable, would also be welcomed. Serviceability is the one area that Apple could introduce to new line ups. It would be a growth market opportunity.

Jun 20, 2013 8:25 AM in response to bradlmullins007

I would try to run your iPhone down until it shuts off, and then let it completely recharge to reset the calibration. If you read the apple support articles about battery, they recommend doing this once a month, and I do it on all my devices to keep them in top battery shape. I would also use the cable and charger that came with the iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

My iPhone 5 won't charge to 100% overnight.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.