After 12+ hours and lots of searching on the Web I finally fixed it. So, in case anybody suffers the same fate here are some resources.
I copied all old mysql folders to a desktop folder for safe keeping and deleted MySQL from the server: http://benkaminski.com/2011/01/02/remove-mysql-from-mac-snow-leopard-10-6x/.
I then went into Server Admin => Settings => Services => Added MySQL => Started service and restarted the server.
Updated the php.ini to reflect the location of mysql.sock: http://kevchapman.co.uk/development/setting-up-apache-on-snow-leopard/.
And if you were dumb enough like me not to have a current SQL backup before updating MySQL: http://www.nullislove.com/2007/10/30/recovering-databases-after-a-mysql-upgrade/.