Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.0.2: cannot change sorting in "On This Device" window

Hey all. So in the "On this iPhone" or "On This iPad" window in iTunes 11.0.2, it won't let me sort all of my music in terms of artist or album, it automatically defaults to Year and it can't be changed. Clicking on any of the column headers does not change them to sort to that column. I can change the sorting to Name if I untick Year from the control-click sorting menu, but this isn't helpful for me either. What's worse is I can't drag the columns to change size, I accidentally clicked "Auto Size All Columns" in the control-click menu and, well, my Sufjan Stevens song names and my Fiona Apple album names made every column huge!

This problem is occurring on iTunes 11.0.2, on both my 2009 MacBook Pro running 10.8.2, and a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro running 10.8.2, and this problem occurs for both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2, both running iOS 6.1.2.

Anyone else having this problem? It's making sorting out all my media on my devices really tedious.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 12:44 AM

Hi evrysing,

I had the same problem, but I found a very simple workaround (as far as the ordering is concerned).

(I'm using Windows at the moment so probably on the Mac it may be a bit different).

While displaying the "on my iDevice" music list, click on the following menu items:

"View"->"View Options" (or Ctrl+J on windows)

A popup window will be displayed, where you can select the columns you wish to view, but also (and more important) the sort order!

Hope this is helpful info!

Bye bye.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2013 12:44 AM in response to evrysing

Hi evrysing,

I had the same problem, but I found a very simple workaround (as far as the ordering is concerned).

(I'm using Windows at the moment so probably on the Mac it may be a bit different).

While displaying the "on my iDevice" music list, click on the following menu items:

"View"->"View Options" (or Ctrl+J on windows)

A popup window will be displayed, where you can select the columns you wish to view, but also (and more important) the sort order!

Hope this is helpful info!

Bye bye.

iTunes 11.0.2: cannot change sorting in "On This Device" window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.