Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad reset its own passcode

I rarely passcode my iPad. A couple days ago, I did, using my debit card PIN, and the first time I tested unlocking it, it worked. After leaving it for an hour, I came back and the passcode didn't work. I tried every similar pattern until it locked up but honestly, it's my PIN, I use it dozens of times a week, and plus I tested it, and I am certain the code changed by itself. I am the only one who knows my PIN.

I have been forced to restore it, but it was very inconvenient because I was 500 miles from home (and my sync computer) when this happened, and since I use the device for work I had to change my travel plans.

Is this a thing that happens? I don't see a lot of people complaining about this.

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 7:44 PM

59 replies

Feb 27, 2013 7:55 PM in response to sberman

I knew this would be the first response. I am stumped for some other explanation. I am desperate for some other explanation. Because I have no other way to explain it. I set the code, a code I use all the time. An hour later, the code did not work, nor did any possible related pattern. I am not an idiot, and I am not lying.

Is the code routine so robust that this NEVER EVER EVER HAPPENS? Am I really the first one?

Feb 27, 2013 8:16 PM in response to BloodyBrook

You say you use your iPad for work. Is it supplied by your employer? If so, is there a profile on it (Settings > General > Profile)? If there is, then your employer may have affected your code.

If your employer is not at all involved in your iPad's welfare, then do you have restrictions set (Settings > General > Restrictions)?

Feb 27, 2013 8:41 PM in response to BloodyBrook

Hi BloodyBrook,

I looked around to see if this issue had been reported before. I found a couple of hits, but there was no explanation in those either except "operator error".....

I'm guessing that there is no other person around that could have gotten in and changed it? It's just not something that really has any way of happening....

Sorry this happened to you, but I think you are safe to proceed with passcode usage. Unless there is something really hinky with your iPad that's really out there (and therefore beyond the ken of anyone here), there is no reason why any passcode you set should not work.

Chalk this one up to crazy, unexplained phenomenon (like ghosts), poltergiests in the machine....can't imagine that it should happen again!!!

Best of luck going forward!

Cheers,

GB

Feb 27, 2013 8:47 PM in response to gail from maine

Thank you so much, Gail, and sberman and John Galt.

There really was no way anybody else could have reset the code on me. I guess this was a bigfoot sighting--either a bizarre unreproducible operator error or a super rare software hiccup. I know which one I'm voting for, but I know, I know.

It's nice to know these forums are so responsive. I wasn't expecting an answer for days, it at all!

My iPad reset its own passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.