Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating disc image of iPod classic to use as backup?

Hello,

I've got an iPod classic 160 GB with several albums and playlists that are dear to me. As I've lost data on iPods before, I'd like to make a backup of everything on this iPod AND the structure (playlists, album art, etc) if possible.

The suggestion to use playlists in iTunes as the permanent copy isn't viable - I have music from several different computers because much of my collection is from records that I've ripped on several different computers over the years.

Is there any way to do this? I've hunted online and am surprised to see that it seems incredibly difficult, or maybe even impossible.

One thing I am considering is creating a disc image - if I use a program to create an exact copy of what's on my iPod HD, then in the event that it gets erased or I get a new one because it gets lost could I format the new iPod and then apply the backup disc image to the iPod? In my brain, that would create something that should retain all the lists and art and everything exactly as it is. I feel like if it were this easy though, this solution would be somewhere online and I can't seem to find it. What's the catch?

I have both Windows and Mac so I can use a solution for either..

Any help would be appreciated here.

Thanks

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009)

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 10:02 PM

2 replies

Feb 28, 2013 12:19 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail, thanks a lot for the quick response! Unfortunately that's not what I'm trying to do - that tip is essentially how to use your iPod as an external HD.

What I am looking for is a way to take the music already on my iPod (which is not all on my computer) and back it up whereby I can later transfer it onto a different, blank iPod in a way that preserves my dozens of playlists with hundreds of songs each without me manually recreating them.

Creating disc image of iPod classic to use as backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.