3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 4:13 PM by gen_
alex hall Level 1 Level 1 (100 points)

Hi

I have a new MBP and initially used Migration Assistant to push averything across form my older MBP to the new one, but now I have decided it is a good time to re-install L9.1.8 (and everyting else) from afresh.

The latest Logic disks I have are the 'Studio Upgrade' suite I bought in 2007, and I cannot find my original logic disks (version 8 I think, so much older, probably 2006),; when I input the upgrade disk I get an error message " Cannot open the application Logic Studio.mpkg because Power PC applications are no longer supported" so it seems that any disks this old or older cannot be used anyway - in other words it doesnt matter that I lost the original disk; I do however still have the dongle.

So the question is, how am I going to be able to re-install L9? Presumably there must be a way of re-installing without the original disk. I have done the ususal googling but not found anything. Can anyone help?

• gen_ Level 2 Level 2 (340 points)

THis is not a Logic 8 issue, it's a common problem with Loigc Suite's original disks. You must call Apple and they will give  you a free set of replacement disks (Disk 1 and 2 I believe)

Your other option is to use a program like Pacifist to force an install and then run the Update to 9.1.8 from the web (not software update), this should replace the PowerPC parts of your Logic install that are only compatible with OSX 10.6 and below.

• Aza Dee Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Wise advise dont install 9.1.8 its nothing but trouble and CPU hog..

• gen_ Level 2 Level 2 (340 points)

Maybe for you, but for me 9.1.8 is the only reason I still use Logic. It cleared up all the awful lag bugs in Lion and reduced the Logic.app filesize to about a quarter of what it used to be. To me thats one big weight loss, and weight losses are a good thing when it comes to programs.

You may have been experienceing a delta upgrade issue yourself. That's why I suggested running the update fromt the downloaded installer. That deletes your files and replaces them with the new ones rather than the delata method which literally rewrites portions of your existing files with the intention to make them into the new files. Delat upgrades are smaller downloads but Apple has shown that they can cause ugly bugs.