Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBooks constantly freezing after new router installed

Hello

I have two MacBooks (running snow leopard) that were working completely fine prior however now all they seem to do is freeze and crash constantly.

This all started a couple of days ago when I installed a new router. This router has the ability to simultaneously host two networks, one at 2.4G and another at 5G, which I have done. This is when the problems started. Both networks have the standard WPA-PSK security attached to them.

I've manage to get one MacBook out from boot to verify the disk which has appeared to be completely healthy however I've just tried to repair disk permissions now and it unfortunately looks like its going to crash again, sounding like a battlefield under the hood.

Strangely enough if the Internet or airport is turned off one of the MacBooks seem to function normally without crashing whatsoever. I plan on disabling one of the dual networks to see if that has any effect and if that fails, simply installing mountain lion over the original OS to see if its an OS related problem. The MacBooks I believe are around 2007, so they're fairly old however this is the first time I've ran into any trouble with them whatsoever.

Thanks for the help! I hope this issue is fixed soon.

Joshua

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:30 AM

2 replies

Mar 2, 2013 4:03 AM in response to TPuppy

Alright, Well I ended up finding two individual solutions to the problem, for people who come across it yet still cant find a fix to it.

The fix (And probably the easiest) is to disable the IPV6 (keeping the IPV4) setting in the macs firewire.

I'm running mountain lion currently so I dont have that option but its still available in snow leopord so I'd recommend that you disable that and continue to see if it crashes which in my experiences, it does not.

The Second fix is somewhat obvious, but install lion which is the successor to Snow Leopard as this also seems to fix it. However since lion is no longer available from the mac app store (And mountain lion is no longer compatible with a macbook) I'd recommend you obtain it from other sources, such as a previous install recovery disc that comes with a mac running lion, or lion on the disc that was released in a few major locations.

Thats all i've figured out with the help of a family member.

MacBooks constantly freezing after new router installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.