4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 11:20 AM by Tom Wolsky
Dan Thomas (DAGWare) Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)

I'm sure this is obvious and I'm just blind. In FCPX, if I have a Compound Clip, how do I find out where it's referenced? In other words, what projects or other compound clips make use of this compound clip?

Thanks.

Dan

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (110,190 points)

Darn good question, and sometimes it even seems to reference something when it's not in use anywhere.

• Dan Thomas (DAGWare) Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)

Tom Wolsky wrote:

Darn good question, and sometimes it even seems to reference something when it's not in use anywhere.

Oh, dang. Tom, if you don't know how, I'm in trouble.

And it sounds like you know what my problem is, too. I want to delete a compound clip, but it says it's in use, even thought it isn't. I've restarted FCPX multiple times, and that didn't help. It's not referenced in a rejected clip, either.

Oh well, time to use the programmer's tried and true method: Name it "zz" something so it sorts to the bottom of the list (obviously if I'm sorting by name), and/or filter it out using whichever technique works for the type of view.

Thanks for at least showing me I wasn't missing something.

Dan

• digibudII Level 2 Level 2 (415 points)

can you open the compound clip and deal with the components ? I am missing something here...I would never have thought to ask that question....would have opened it and right clicked on a clip inside to see where it is referenced in the Browser...if I understand the problem correctly.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (110,190 points)

I think the problem is the opposite. The compound was created and now exists in the browser. Once it's in the browser it's hard to figure out where that compound is being used. It can be anywhere, in any project.