Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 7.0.3 Freezing problem when capturing from Sony HDV 1080i

Hello, I am trying to capture HDV from a sony HDV 1080i camera, into Final Cut Pro 7.0.3. While capture goes on, sometimes video (and audio) freezes for a short duration, and every time when this happens, a new clip comes out. When I put those clips into sequence, i see that a 1-2 second portion of the video between the clips is lost.

It looks like the machine can't keep up processing the video to me, but it is a Mac pro with quad core cpu and a 8 gb of ram. An ordinary windows machine with movie maker can easily capture it. I can't understand.

What could possibly cause this? Any help?

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:41 AM

2 replies

Feb 28, 2013 12:14 PM in response to karamuyo

First, you should always have "abort capture on dropped frames" enabled in your preferences.

You don't say what kind of drive you're capturing to and how it's connected to the computer. You have a macpro so you can install up to 4 3.5" drives internally which are ideal. Although it will usually work, capturing to a firewire drive is not ideal unless you install a firewire card so the camera and drive are on different firewire buses (not different firewire ports).

Is this the camera that the material was shot on? There can be compatibility problems is you try and capture off a camera that did not shoot the material.

FCP 7.0.3 Freezing problem when capturing from Sony HDV 1080i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.