4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 1:33 PM by Zathrak
Zathrak Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I bought my first Airport Extreme a few years back. About a year ago or so, it started running quite hot...figured it was because I added more ethernet cables for wired connections to the back of it. I used to only need to reset the router once a week or so to maintain optimal performance for both wired and wireless connections. (We do quite a bit of large LAN data transfers.)

Anyhow, now we find ourselves needing to reset it about once every day or two to keep things running quickly. We have 40down/4up internet speeds yet it struggles to keep things moving for some reason. So we've been debating whether or it's time for a new Airport Extreme or not. If it is...are there any notable differences between units over the years (leaving Airport Express out of the equation)?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM
  • John Galt Level 8 Level 8 (38,875 points)

You should not have to reset your Extreme at all. They normally run for months on end.

Several years ago there was a firmware update for the original, "round" AirPort Extreme that resulted in the need to periodically reset it as you describe, which was resolved by reverting to an older firmware version. Shortly thereafter Apple introduced the 802.11n Extremes, and subsequently the simultaneous dual band base stations. All Apple base stations are now simultaneous dual band models. If yours predates that model then an upgrade is justified.

40 Mbps download speed is nothing special. Even the earliest model AEBSs would not have presented a limitation.

A current production AirPort Express now has many of the advantages of the current production Extreme. The essential differences are: three LAN ports vs. only one on the Express, Gigabit Ethernet for the Extreme only, the ability to connect a USB hard disk drive (the Express's is for printers only), and the Express's AirPlay audio output. That's pretty much it.

• Zathrak Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My model is the dualband wireless N (not round) version. The mention of the download speed isn't meant to brag because no it isn't anything special...just didn't want any responses about people thinking I was misinterepreting bad download speeds for a bad router.

I might be misreading something here. The current Express has advantages over the Extreme? That doesn't seem to make much logical sense but I'm not too familiar with the differences, hence this post. I assume you mean that the current Prod Extreme has the 3 Gig ports, 1 x USB (2.0?), and the Express allows audio whereas the Extreme does not?

I guess what I'm asking is is there a hardware difference between let's say Wireless N model version 1 and Wireless N model current version?

• edex67 Level 4 Level 4 (3,250 points)

The Extreme has the Gigabit ports and HDD sharing. For Extremes, really the Gen 3, 4 and 5 are pretty much the same.

• Zathrak Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Gotcha. It sounds like I should grab another router and see if I ever need to reset it. Probably the only real way to narrow the replacement part of this scenario down.