Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watching video on iPad from Seagate Wireless Plus

I have a Seagate Wireless Plus, so I can store a bunch of movies for flights and such. This device is supposed to have the ability to stream HD video to 3 devices all at once. Here is the setup I'm trying to make work.

I want to be able to fire up a movie that my wife, daughter, and myself can watch on our individual devices. We each have our own Apple ID. If I buy a movie through iTunes and transfer it to the device, I can watch it through the Seagate app from the app store. However, my wife/daughter keep getting a "Mobile Safari was unable to open the media file containing DRM content" message.

What I am interested in knowing is, is there a way that they can watch the movie as well? If I authorize their Apple ID's on my iTunes on my computer, will that somehow give them the ability to watch a movie, that I paid for, in this manner? If not, is there another set of steps that I can go through to get this to work?

Thank you for your assistance.

iTunes-OTHER, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 12:02 PM

13 replies

Feb 28, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Rudegar

The reason I don't think it's a Seagate issue, is because I can watch the movie I bought streamed from the wireless drive just like they said it'd work. The DRM message, to me, means that there is some sort of security issue with the movie being bought under one Apple ID, but trying to watch it on a device that uses another.

Mar 3, 2013 8:22 PM in response to Lloyd6770

Found this in FAQ @seagate support:

I purchased files on iTunes for use with my iPad. Will they work on Seagate Wireless Plus?

If the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch is authorized to view the content (authenticated to the account that purchased the content) and supported by the device, then yes, the files can be stored on the Seagate Wireless Plus and played on the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch.

Jul 26, 2013 6:08 AM in response to Paul Skee

Yep so I have installed the seagate media app to the devices, I have now synced each device (iPad mini) with my computer, and successfully can load iTunes purchased videos from my account onto each device and play them successfully on the device through the video app. I can also play tunes in the same way. I can join the seagate wireless and stream non-iTunes videos. I just can't stream any iTunes purchased content (I click in the movie thumbnail and just get bounced - nothing happens) from the Seagate drive.

Sep 4, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Lloyd6770

In case anyone tried to stream iTunes content from the Seagate Wireless Plus to an iOS 8 device...

"Movies purchased from iTunes can be streamed to iOS 6 and iOS 7 devices which were authorized from remote storage (the video could be selected in Seagate Media App and would be played in the Safari browser), however in iOS 8 this has stopped working. A bug has been filed with Apple, however this functionality has not been restored. Therefor, DRM protected movies purchased on iTunes can no longer be played on devices running iOS8 or higher."

Bottom line, if you're running iOS8 on your device, you won't be able to stream your iTunes purchases stored on the Seagate Wireless Plus.

The FAQ is here: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005087en?language=en_US

May 27, 2016 7:11 PM in response to redjeko

This is terrible. I just bought a Seagate Wireless Plus to take my iTunes library overseas and stream content (in particular movies) to the kids iPad mini's. We have family sharing set up but the iTunes Library movies I just copied to the Seagate won't play even under my AppleID which I bought them on. I am running iOS9.3.2 - the latest version at the time of writing.

Interestingly music I purchased from iTunes streams fine. Just won't play films.

Seems Apple are trying to force customers into devices with large on board storage by preventing streaming from external wireless portable devices.

Come on Apple please fix this iOS restriction for legitimate and legal purchasers of content.

May 27, 2016 7:37 PM in response to deggie

Thanks Deggie for the reply. Looks like its still a problem. My kids also have iPod touch 4th gen's which run on iOS 6 and I just tried streaming the movies on them and the movies work perfectly fine. It must be iOS 8 and above as the Seagate post suggests. So it is an Apple problem to solve.

The other issue is that the Seagate Media App continually crashes on my iPhone. I only got the App yesterday and it will open for a couple of seconds then crash. Completely useless in iOS 9.3.2 Spoke to Seagate and they told me how to use the Wireless Plus onboard software through the IP address of the device with Safari/Google Chrome App. That works fine, but it will just not play the movies on our Apple devices running iOS 9.

Watching video on iPad from Seagate Wireless Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.