Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reset my iMac to the state it was in yesterday with Time Machine

Please help. I am trying to do something I thought was simple but I cant work out how to do it...

I need to reset my iMac to the state it was in yesterday evening using my Time Machine backup.

Yesterday I was on OSX 10.8 now I am on 10.6. The iMac was working fine yesterday.

Many thanks in anticipation...

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iMac late 2007

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 1:18 PM

You might have multiple boot volumes on your system, one with OS X 10.6 on it and the other with OS X 10.8. Try going to the Startup Disk system preferences to see if there are multiple volumes listed there (along with their OS versions). If so then select the one for OS X 10.8 and restart the system.

There is no other way for a system to go from OS X 10.8 to OS X 10.6 by simply restarting or in other general use.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2013 1:18 PM in response to Robert Borley

You might have multiple boot volumes on your system, one with OS X 10.6 on it and the other with OS X 10.8. Try going to the Startup Disk system preferences to see if there are multiple volumes listed there (along with their OS versions). If so then select the one for OS X 10.8 and restart the system.

There is no other way for a system to go from OS X 10.8 to OS X 10.6 by simply restarting or in other general use.

Mar 1, 2013 4:02 AM in response to Topher Kessler

This solved my problem! Great advice thanks! You have saved me from doing an unnecessary backup restore and re-upgrade which is what I was being advised to do elsewhere. Your fix took a matter of minutes! I cant thank you enough.

I still dont know how my 10 year old son and friends managed to do this in the first place as his account has parental controls and is restricted. I suppose they must have held a key on the keyboard during start-up and selected the wrong options!

Anyway, a lesson learned by all.

Thank you so much again for being inciteful with my question.

How can I reset my iMac to the state it was in yesterday with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.