Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

802.1x Authentication server is not responding -- but there is no 802.1x authentication server!

I might sound like a total dope asking this, but I'm trying to connect to the Wi-Fi in my house and there's a message in my Network dialog box, under Status and Network Name: "802.1x: Default Authentication server is not responding." But I'm pretty sure my home internet doesn't have 802.1x authentication! Other computers on my network (like the one I'm posting on!) don't have the same message.

In any event, I can't connect to the internet. Also going wrong (from comparing the settings on the non-connecting computer to the settings on this computer): the IPv4 settings aren't configuring automatically when I renew the DHCP lease (sometimes they set to a 169.254.x.x address, other times simply no address), and the NetBIOS name is slightly different from how my computer appears in the list of connected devices on my network page.

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 3:24 PM

9 replies

Feb 28, 2013 3:55 PM in response to guydangit

Originally posted by SwankPerFection.

Try this...

Back up your personal data as a safety measure.

Go to to Library->Preferences->SystemConfiguration

Rename NetworkInterfaces.plist to NetworkInterfaces.plist.bak

Rename preferences.plist to preferences.plist.bak

Reboot the laptop.

That is the Library folder in the ROOT of the drive not in your UserName folder.

Hope it works.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

Feb 28, 2013 4:11 PM in response to guydangit

Go back into the network applet and then highlight the WiFi then advanced then the WiFi Tab and highlight every SSID name you have in there, one at a time, and click the Minus Sign ( - ) to delete all of them. Then Reboot. Then try connecting to your home network. If you still get that error then I have no other ideas. Sorry.

It is something in the base WiFi configuration that is forcing the 802.1x authentication. What and where ??????.

802.1x Authentication server is not responding -- but there is no 802.1x authentication server!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.