Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto Close Inactive Applications

I was wondering if this is possible either using a system preference or via an application. I have a very bad habit of leaving every application I use open. I will be working and by midday, I have Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Firefox, Word, Excel, Transmit, BBEdit, Fireworks, Outlook and more all open simultaneously. Many for no reason at all, just mainly because I never close them after using them for a bit. So my question is, does anyone know if there's a way to have the system shut down these programs maybe after 5 minutes of inactivity and with no documents currently open? My system boots programs quickly, so I don't care if I have to re-open something...however, it does bog down when I have everything open all at once. If there was a preference or an application that could do this for me on the fly, it would be an amazing help since I move so quickly through everything and have developed a habit of not closing them. Since most programs don't keep windows open nowadays, it makes it easy to not pay attention to what all you currently have open on a mac. Any ideas would be much approciated...assuming it's not to tell me to stop being lazy and close my apps myself, lol.

Thanks!

Wil

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:04 PM

10 replies

Mar 1, 2013 6:02 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The problem is that I am working in a fast paced environment where I may be working on a website design, video, print graphics, excel spreadsheets, coding and more all in the same day. So my intent is not to stop using a program because, if it was, then yes I would click the red X. I have no problem quitting a program if I truly am done with it. But say I'm working in illustrator on a graphic and I finish with one graphic and am ready to move on to another but am being interrupted to start work on a video. I'm not expecting to stop work in illustrator to do this video, but 2 hours later I realize that Illustrator has been sitting open unnecessarily while I've been using Final Cut. I intended to go back and use it, but never got around to it. This is a simplified explanation of the problem, but imagine that happening with 20 different projects during the day where you wind up with 20+ programs open because you're moving so fast trying to keep up with everything.

Granted I should not be in this scenario because there should be more than one person to do all these different projects, but that's not a luxury I have right now. For now, it's me and I have to handle it all on a whim with little to no heads up on what's going to come across my desk in a day. So an app that monitors my open programs and closes the items that are not being used doesn't seem like an unreasonable necessity for someone in my scenario. I understand it may not be a common need, but it seems like a fairly simple concept that could be useful for other people besides myself, if for no other reason then to keep as much memory free on the system as possible.

My thought is it would be an app which can tell if you've used a program over some amount of time (of your choosing) and if not, it closes the program for you. I could also see the option of only closing programs where no documents are open so that if you're reading from a Word Doc for example but working in Final Cut or something else, it wouldn't just shut the program down on you. And also an option to remove certain programs from the 'close list' that you may need to remain open at all times. I think a lot of people could find use for a program that could do these things for you. Seems like it would be a good tool to manage your system freeing up the user to worry about other things.

Wil

Mar 1, 2013 6:13 PM in response to wilhud

My thought is it would be an app which can tell if you've used a program over some amount of time (of your choosing) and if not, it closes the program for you.

It's in there.

10.7 and later does that for you. It closes programs with no open windows when system resources get tight. It tries to leave the minimal Application task still running so you could re-launch more quickly if you need to, and closes the rest down. The dock indicates the Application has quit. Activity Monitor show the main task for that Application, idling.

Mar 1, 2013 6:34 PM in response to wilhud

Before you upgrade:

10.8 is the current version, and it looks like that is all there is. Not So. 10.7 IS still available for download, but it is "put away" so that hurried Users do not buy it in error. You need to CALL the Apple Online store support and ask them to sell you a download code to get 10.7.

Read any of the articles from trusted third-party sources about how to make a custom DVD. This step needs to be done AFTER you download, but BEFORE you install. It is worth the peace of mind to have that DVD available, even if you never use it.

PowerPC Applications including CS2 and Office 2004, are no longer supported under 10.7 Lion. If you have any of these, you need to find replacements before you upgrade.

Mar 1, 2013 8:14 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant,

Thanks for the additional info. Would there be any reason not to upgrade all the way to 10.8? My current system is a 2.8GHz Quad Core Xeon with 3GB of RAM. If it's only $20, I think it'd be well worth it.

As far as programs go, everything I have is fairly current...CS5, latest Final Cut Studio, Office 2011, etc. It was all a long time coming, but I had to get the company to spend the money because before that I was on an old G4 with ancient versions of all the software...and this was just a little over a year ago, lol.

Thanks,

Wil

Mar 2, 2013 7:12 AM in response to wilhud

That looks like at least a 2008 model, so Yes, you can do that. Older than 2008 model are not supported in 10.8.

I find the changeover to downloaded system a bit jarring, and there are operational differences as well. Scroll bars are no longer present by default, and the scroll direction default changes to the IOS way -- but both of those can be re-configured in System preferences.

If you are going to jump directly to a later version, it would be prudent to give yourself a way to go back in case you hate it.

Auto Close Inactive Applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.