Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i deauthorize a computer that does not exist anymore?

actually the PC had to be reformated because of virus problems, and erasing some system files by mistake (trying to free up some space). Now i have updated itunes and signed in with my appleID. The pop-up window says that this is the 3rd computer that i have authorized. I may have authorized an iPod of a sister-in-law who lives a bit away. How do i de-authorize that iPod or computer?

PC-OTHER, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:50 PM

3 replies

Feb 28, 2013 6:53 PM in response to Jo-Ed

Authorization and Deauthorization

Macs: iTunes Store- About authorization and deauthorization.

Windows: How to Authorize or Deauthorize iTunes | PCWorld.

In iTunes you use the Authorize This Computer or De-authorize This Computer option under the Store menu in iTunes' menubar. For Windows use the ALT-S keys to access it.

More On De-authorizing Computers (contributed by user John Galt)

You can de-authorize individual computers, but only by using those computers. The only other option is to "de-authorize all" from your iTunes account.

1. Open iTunes on a computer

2. From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."

3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password.

4. Under "Computer Authorizations" select "De-authorize All".

5. Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "de-authorize all" your authorized computers, re-authorize each one as required.

If you have de-authorized all computers and need to do it again, but your year has not elapsed, then contact: Apple - Support - iTunes - Contact Us.

Feb 28, 2013 7:00 PM in response to Jo-Ed

You can't. The reason being that you have to deauthorize a computer from the computer itself. Since that computer (it's iTunes library file) has been erased, you won't be able to deauthorize that computer.

If you saved a backup of your iTunes library from that computer, there may be hope for you yet. But since that computer had a virus, I'm guessing you didn't save a backup of the disk. If you did, repost & I'll give further instruction.

iPods do not count toward this count, only iTunes libraries. Therefore, you must have another computer that is on the count - perhaps you authorized your sister-in-law's iTunes library?

In any case, it's not hurting anything to have the count higher than you know it should be, but Apple does maintain a function that you are able to deauthorize all computers on your account, but you can only use this feature once per year. To access it, go to your iTunes Store account, and the button will display beside the computer count. You will have to reauthorize you sister-in-law's computer and your own.

how do i deauthorize a computer that does not exist anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.