Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OWC Data Doubler and MacBook Pro Bluetooth issues?

Has anyone had any problems with bluetooth connectivity after upgrading their MacBook Pro with a Data Doubler? Today, I moved my stock hard drive to the optical bay using OWC's Data Doubler. I then installed a Samsung 840 Pro SSD in the main drive bay.

Now, I'm having intermitent Bluetooth connectivity problems with my Apple Wireless Keyboard. Sometimes, the keyboard reponse time will become laggy; other times, it'll keep connecting and disconnecting. Basically, it's just weirding out. I didn't notice this problem until I performed the upgrade. BTW, it worked fine for the first 4-5 hours and then all of sudden everything became unstable.

FWIW, this weird behavior seem to coincide with me reformating the hard drive using zero all data, so I wonder if that has something to do with it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 12:41 AM

6 replies

Jun 22, 2018 1:06 AM in response to Kelly Crossley

I experienced bluetooth interference after installing the Samsung 840 pro (in a MacBook Pro 17 replacing DVD drive with an adapter, which is very close to the bluetooth module).

I solved it by covering the drive in foil tape (the kind used to seal ducts--NOT duct tape). Bluetooth issues went away. I made sure the foil was grounded to the chassis by piercing the foil with the set-screws used to hold the drive in the adapter frame (the adapter I used had an aluminum frame).

If your adapter is plastic, you may need to take additional measures like leaving a tab of foil that you can secure to the case or chassis.

Jan 14, 2014 1:34 AM in response to Myara

Same issue with my Optibay I've just installed in my MBP 17" mid 2010. Seems like my original HDD, which is now in the Optibay, interfere with the Bluetooth antenna that sits right beside the Optibay. It only interrupt the signal when I'm reading or writing larger files. Both keyboard and mouse are disconnected if the HDD reads or writes for a longer time.

Please, any one who got some sort of solution?

Jan 14, 2014 2:49 PM in response to infinite beat

Ok, what I was able to acomplish so far:

#1 - Tryed to isolate the drive on optical bay from its surroundings, in terms of interferences. To do so I used an eletrostatic bag (that silver plastic that wraps some new HDs) and wrap all of my Data Doubler. At first it seemed to solve (it surely improved the bluetooth signal during drive use), but as I was already so paranoic with that problem, noticed that it was still there... Very subtle, but still there...

#2 - Using the SSD drive on the optic bay also reduces the problem (my wrapped drive from the above description was a SSD drive).

#3 - Finally I was able to solve it (but not like I was expecting). I just plug a external Bluetooth dongle and, using the "Bluetooth Explorer" (which is an Developers tool from Apple - not included on OS X install) swaped the bluetooth to that dongle. Only then I was able to use my BT mouse again in peace...

One more thought: Don't know if that's true (but it sure makes sence), installing an regular HD (non-SSD) on the optical bay would render the sudden motion detector of the macbook useless for that drive. That's another compeling reason for why I swaped again my HD to it's stock position and placed the SSD on the optical bay.

Another thought: Using the plastic bag like mentioned on #1 could render your macbook to overheat (not only the drive itself but the entire macbook - since it relies on air flows to cool down). For that matter I'm monitoring all the macbook temperature sensors and in my case, everything looks ok so far (I'm using it like that for more than 2 weeks on a freaking hot Rio de Janeiro). In any case, that is something that I consider worth mentioning if you're going to try it.

Hope this helps.

OWC Data Doubler and MacBook Pro Bluetooth issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.