Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serving websites: Users cannot resume files when user authentication is enabled?

Hello!

Have a mac mini server that is serving up user-authenticated (digest) websites, as enabled in Server.app -> Websites -> Edit -> Who Can Access -> [desired user group].

Everything is working fine, users authenticate, can view the website pages & download files 100%, everything works except resuming downloads. Is this supported?

To say, when Who Can Access is set to Anyone, partially downloaded files can be resumed (from Safari for example) without issue.

However, when setting Who Can Access to the website's user group, resuming of files is no longer possible (resuming in Safari download window gives false error that URL cannot be found, even though the exact same URL works fine when entering in Address bar or downloading from 0 / not resuming).

Is this an apache limitation? (don't think so, but not sure)

Anyone else seeing this?

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 5:04 AM

1 reply

Mar 10, 2013 8:21 PM in response to Casemon

It might be the session has expired, so when the download is resumed, Safari is probably getting a 403 error and does not prompt for a username and password.

When I told Safari to remember the username and password in the Keychain (on OS X), the download will 'resume' but will restart from the beginning. When I disable restricted access, yes it will 'resume' the download but in my case it starts from the beginning. Is this the type of behavior that you are seeing?

How often are people pausing and resuming large downloads from your website?

Serving websites: Users cannot resume files when user authentication is enabled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.