Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 5 suxxx or is it just ours?

Ok so I had a 4s as did my wife. I sync'd both of them to our Macbook before we went for our upgrade to a 5. When we got home I plugged my new 5 in and went to restore from last sync which came up on this crappy new Itunes as Jan 12, 2013. Are you kidding me?!?!?!? I was not in a position to disconnect and maybe mess up the new phone so I used this. As I don't add much I wasn't so disheartened as not much would be lost. Long story short...........NOTHING sync'd. I had NO apps, NO contacts, NO, music, no NOTHINGGGGG. The only thing that showed up was the photo I chose from my old photos to be my start menu pic yet it isn't in my photos as there are no photos. I lost everything and now I'm stressing out.

I went in to add my gmail acct and then I went to check email and nothing was there and said no acct setup. I went into mail preferences and the info I put in was there but still no email. I used gmail and tried exchange. I said I wanted it to sync all and it does nothing. My wife had basically them same problem.

Anyone have any ideas aside from this being broken?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:11 AM

13 replies

Mar 1, 2013 7:15 AM in response to GMRKnighty

Try giving us a coherent account of what you did and what the result was. You're not making much sense.

As for gmail, they have terminated support for configuring Gmail as an Exchange account. If you have a device on which it's already configured and working, it will continue to do so, but you can't set it up on a new device as an Exchange account.

Mar 1, 2013 11:27 AM in response to KiltedTim

At my stress level before I thought I had

Our Macbook was up to date with everything. Mac and Itunes. Our 4s always backed up and synced fine.

After syncing both 4s phones we went and got the 5s. Hooking my 5 up to Mac gave me the option of the last sync which was supposedly 1 mth+ earlier. I synced it and I had nothing on my phone besides default programs but for some reason I had my daughter's picture on the main screen like before even though there were no pictures on the phone now. Nothing was there almost like I chose to make this a new phone without a backup but I hadn't obviously.

When trying to sync again I got nothing again. I tried to look at email and it said there was no account setup. I went into mail and added my info but still nothing showed up afterwards aside from Inbox and VIP. After "setting up" gmail as I mentioned I tried both exchange and gmail neither showed my email aside from what I mentioned earlier.

My phone had no contacts at all BUT in my favorites I had the favorites numbers still but not the people's names as before. Again I had numbers but nothing in the contacts area so I'm not sure how I have numbers in there without them showing in contacts.

That is basically it.

Mar 1, 2013 11:39 AM in response to GMRKnighty

If your 4S was completely up to date as far as what version of iOS was installed, it's entirely possible that the iPhone 5, out of the box, was running an earlier version of iOS. Since you can't restore a backup made with a newer version of iOS to a device running an older version, it won't even show you the most recent backups made.

If multiple people have been syncing and backing up their phones to the same iTunes library, you have to be very careful when restoring to make sure you select the correct backup to restore from.

Contacts are meant to be synced to a cloud service or a compatible contact manager on your computer. What were you syncing them with? They should still be there. The contact information in the backup is only intended to preserve your favorites and recent calls lists, not repopulate your contacts.

Update the phone to iOS 6.1.2. Then restore it from the most recent backup you made of the 4S.

Mar 1, 2013 11:57 AM in response to KiltedTim

Part of the problem with this is that for whatever reason the backup that is showing is Jan 2013 not yesterday Feb 28th. I did have to upgrade the 5 when it was synced which I did and I then tried again to sync but still nothing. My wife and I both used or specific sync but we both had the same issue although hers was a bit more complete. I will check again once I get home but I had to jump the IOs to 6 something for the 5.

Mar 1, 2013 12:15 PM in response to KiltedTim

Not sure if you read it but Google is continuing exchange support until 31 Jul. It says windows phones but how do their servers know the difference between a windows phone and iOS when using exchange. Seems to me that it will work at least until 31 July now.

I just verified I could set up an exchange account on my ipad which I never had before and it worked. Apparently they are not shutting it off as advertised and it is still working.

Mar 1, 2013 12:22 PM in response to KC7GNM

KC7GNM wrote:

Not sure if you read it but Google is continuing exchange support until 31 Jul. It says windows phones but how do their servers know the difference between a windows phone and iOS when using exchange. Seems to me that it will work at least until 31 July now.

Just out of curiousity, where did you read that? I couldn't find anything about it.

Thanks!

IPhone 5 suxxx or is it just ours?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.