Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange the original HDD with an Intel SSD

Hello experts out there.

I just bought a new (late 2012 model) Mini Mac 2.5GHz with a standard 500GB HDD.

Now I have an Intel SSD 520 series 240 GB, that I recently took out of my MacBook (I got a bigger SSD for that one) and I want to upgrade the Mini Mac with this drive.

I followed the guide on http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Mac+Mini+Late+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement /11716/1 without any issues.

But when I start up the computer I just get the "stop sign" and the system shuts down automatically after a little while. I am also unable to do any sort of startup key press.

I double checked the connectors and everything should be fine, fan is also running.

If I put back the original HDD (just did that) then everything is back to normal.

I tried to find anything if the SSD should be incompatible but this seem not to be the case?

Please help! (I love SSD for speed and quietness... 🙂 )

Regards

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 9:29 AM

There are a couple of things you can do. I have the same model as you.

1. Restart your Mac Mini into Internet Recovery (Command+Option+R key - keep them pressed until you see a spinning globe). This will boot to Apple's servers and their Recovery HD. You should see the OS X Utilities menu where you can use Disk Utility to format your SSD drive (Mac OS Extended Journaled and GUID partition table); then back out to the OS X Utilities menu and choose Reinstall OS X to reinstall ML onto your new SSD.

2. Put your 500GB HDD back in. Secure it into the black drive caddy underneath the system board. You would need the iFixit kit for a second hard drive which includes the gromets and SATA connector to add a 2nd drive. Then boot into your HDD's Recovery volume (Command+R), format your SSD and install ML to it. You could then erase your HDD and use it for storage. OR even better, make a Fusion Drive out of your SSD and HDD.

I added an Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD to my Mac Mini and kept the HDD; then created a Fusion drive out of the two. The Mini boots faster and accesses most commonly used files and apps faster than if those files were on just the HDD. And I have the additional storage of the HDD as I'm using my Mac Mini as a home server.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2013 9:29 AM in response to JoaPalmer

There are a couple of things you can do. I have the same model as you.

1. Restart your Mac Mini into Internet Recovery (Command+Option+R key - keep them pressed until you see a spinning globe). This will boot to Apple's servers and their Recovery HD. You should see the OS X Utilities menu where you can use Disk Utility to format your SSD drive (Mac OS Extended Journaled and GUID partition table); then back out to the OS X Utilities menu and choose Reinstall OS X to reinstall ML onto your new SSD.

2. Put your 500GB HDD back in. Secure it into the black drive caddy underneath the system board. You would need the iFixit kit for a second hard drive which includes the gromets and SATA connector to add a 2nd drive. Then boot into your HDD's Recovery volume (Command+R), format your SSD and install ML to it. You could then erase your HDD and use it for storage. OR even better, make a Fusion Drive out of your SSD and HDD.

I added an Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD to my Mac Mini and kept the HDD; then created a Fusion drive out of the two. The Mini boots faster and accesses most commonly used files and apps faster than if those files were on just the HDD. And I have the additional storage of the HDD as I'm using my Mac Mini as a home server.

Mar 3, 2013 2:52 AM in response to keg55

Thank you for your suggestions. However I realize my problem probably is something else. I seem to be unable to perform any "Startup key" sequences (resetting PRAM, boot into recovery mode, boot from CD etcetera).

I'm using a Logitech USB (model Y-BF37) keyboard directly connected to the computer but no startup key commands works. (The keyboard is designed for use with apple and has apples command-key symbols on the key nearest the spacebar).

I have tried searching but the general opinion seem to be that any USB keyboard should work. I have this excellent keyboard and I didn't want to spend money on an apple keyboard. Do I have to buy an apple keyboard to use boot key commands??? I don't think I can borrow an apple keyboard from anywhere... 😟

Mar 3, 2013 3:15 AM in response to JoaPalmer

Your drive from the Macbook Pro will not work because it has

an incompatible OS on it. The latest Minis have a special build

for it and the mainstream OSX releases have not caught up

(probably the next OSX release will be "synced"). So, if you have

not installed the OS specifically for the new Mini, it won't work.

What you should do is get one of the many USB->SATA adapters

and with your old drive still in the Mini clone its contents to the SSD.

Then try booting to it, while still externally connected. If it boots,

just do some quick checks to make sure all is well once booted

then reinstall the SSD. You can use Disk Utility's restore feature

or Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to create the clone.

Exchange the original HDD with an Intel SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.