Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to update iPhone4 to 5.1 but getting an "ineligible to update" error. What does this mean?

I'm a very novice iPhone user but am tired of getting update requests to install newer apps. So I've tried to install the newer 5.1 iOS update from my current 4.2.1 version. However, I get an error that states I'm "ineligible" to update this version. I've heard terrible things about the 6.0 update and don't want to lose Google Maps. Can I still get the 5.1 version on my phone?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.2, Seeking iOS 5

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:37 AM

The 5.1 version is no longer signed by Apple, so you'd have to update to 6.1.2 at this point, or stay on 4.2.1

If it's only the maps that are holding you back from upgrading, well, they have gotten better since Day 1. Also, google came out with their own app and it's actually pretty slick and better than the one you have now.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2013 7:37 AM in response to Edugator1997

The 5.1 version is no longer signed by Apple, so you'd have to update to 6.1.2 at this point, or stay on 4.2.1

If it's only the maps that are holding you back from upgrading, well, they have gotten better since Day 1. Also, google came out with their own app and it's actually pretty slick and better than the one you have now.

Trying to update iPhone4 to 5.1 but getting an "ineligible to update" error. What does this mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.