Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieving voice memos from an iPhone backup.

Is there a way to retrieve voice memo files from an iPhone backup without actually restoring the whole backup? I had an iOS 6.1.2 issue that cashed Mail and Calendar, and apparently corrupted some files in the backup. Learned this via several backup-restore cycles and two reinstalations of the operating system (at the Genius Bar). I ended up reinstalling iOS 6.1.2 and bypassing the restore process and just synching and using iCloud to get apps, pics, music etc back. However, there are about 25 voice memo files that I need that only exist (I assume) in the last backup that I did. All's fine now, but after the events of the past two days, cannot afford to restore the whole backup, as the Mail and Calendar problems seem likely to return. Hope there's a solution. Thanks.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 9:32 AM

6 replies

Mar 6, 2013 6:07 PM in response to wjosten

Thanks very much for the response. I checked out the link, but after some thought, I actually took a gamble on a different solution, and it's worked (so far).

I still had the backup with the corrupted files on my computer, as well as a newer backup, done after the operating system was reinstalled. So I restored the "bad" backup, which I remebered still had my voice memos intact. I saved them, and then rrestored the "good" backup from a few days later, post-iOS reinstall. I was worried that I might be pushing my luck, or that there might be consequences of which I was not aware. But so far (two days later) so good!

Feb 22, 2014 5:50 AM in response to PZC

I was horrified to open my Voice Memos app earlier this evening and discover a distinct absence of recordings, as well. I downloaded iExplorer and, without purchasing or registering the software, was able to recover my memos from a backup.

Download here: http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Upon opening iExplorer, chose "Continue with Demo" in the bottom right corner. Chose "Backups" on the right, under "Explore." A dialog box will prompt you to "Use Last Backup" or "Refresh." Click "Use Last Backup."

From the list of folders you now see, open "MediaDomain>Media>Recordings." Your voice memos are the files of type M4A. Simply select those files and drag them into a new folder on your desktop. You can then add the files from the folder on your desktop to iTunes and make a playlist or whatever else your heart desires. The dates and times of the memos seem to be lost, but at least the recordings themselves were salvagable. Hopefully this process resolves your issue. Good luck!

Also, I think it would be in our best interest to take a lesson from this, and manually backup our recordings on a regular basis from this point forward.

Oct 27, 2014 8:22 PM in response to PZC

Check if you have iTunes or iCloud backup of your iPhone first, if you have either of them, try to retrieve voice memos from iPhone backup

iTunes and iCloud will automatically back up your iPhone even if have not done it manually:

iCloud automatically backs up the most important data on your iPhone on a daily basis as long as your device is:

Connected to the Internet over Wi-Fi

Connected to a power source

Screen locked

iTunes can create backups of your iPhone automatically when you sync with iTunes (disabled if you have iCloud backup turned on).

Retrieving voice memos from an iPhone backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.