Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Previous Owner Deleted iChat

Hi,

I purchased a used MacBook Pro running Mac OS X v. 10.6.8. When I brought it home everything looked fine until I realized that iChat was deleted. There is a big question mark in place of the iChat icon on the Dock and I've search every possible folder to see if maybe it was moved somewhere. I don't have a disk to reinstall anything. Is there a way I can get this back or should I resign to not having iChat on this machine?

Thanks for any help you can give.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 1:31 PM

HI,

The only way to reinstall iChat 5 on Snow Leopard is with the Install Disks

Users Tip

As you say it should be in the Applications folder and if moved the Dock icon can loose contact with it and end up with the Question mark.

Some people try to organise the Applications Folder and put similar IM apps in a joint folder.

This does allow the app to work but messes Updates up.

I would attempt to get the Install Disk Off the Seller.

I realise this can be difficult if the person bought a Retail Copy and updated a computer that has an earlier OS and still has other computer that they run that OS on.

Having said that it was two Upgrades ago (OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, Lion at OS X 10.7 and Mountain Lion at OS X 10.8.x).

Your other option is to see which version of the OS your model of MacBook Pro can run and consider upgrading.

User uploaded file
9:31 PM Friday; March 1, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2013 1:31 PM in response to T ALICEA

HI,

The only way to reinstall iChat 5 on Snow Leopard is with the Install Disks

Users Tip

As you say it should be in the Applications folder and if moved the Dock icon can loose contact with it and end up with the Question mark.

Some people try to organise the Applications Folder and put similar IM apps in a joint folder.

This does allow the app to work but messes Updates up.

I would attempt to get the Install Disk Off the Seller.

I realise this can be difficult if the person bought a Retail Copy and updated a computer that has an earlier OS and still has other computer that they run that OS on.

Having said that it was two Upgrades ago (OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, Lion at OS X 10.7 and Mountain Lion at OS X 10.8.x).

Your other option is to see which version of the OS your model of MacBook Pro can run and consider upgrading.

User uploaded file
9:31 PM Friday; March 1, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 1, 2013 2:40 PM in response to T ALICEA

User uploaded file for the Points User uploaded file

You are welcome.

User uploaded file
10:40 PM Friday; March 1, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Previous Owner Deleted iChat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.