Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address book won't save changes to note field

Like the header says. Address book won't save changes to note field. There's another thread with the same header: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2591053?threadID=2591053 But it's archived so I had to post this new one.

If I made a change in any non-note field however, it would stay.

Note: the notes field can be edited with actually having to go into official "edit" mode. Does this make it more prone to corruption? Why would Apple make the notes field NOT need that extra step of protection. Do they think my notes aren't as important? How would they know?

I fixed this one card with a bandaid solution by exporting it and reimporting it. But I guess I need to do that with all 2,000 of my contacts now. It was mentioned on theother thread that somebody made an address book backup and then deleted every contact in the address book and imported them fresh from the backup and that worked.

The underlyilng issue is still not solved though. How could this happpen in the first place, and how do I know what other contacts haven't held lthe changes I thought I made?

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 3:38 PM

Totally agree. It drives me CRAZY that sometimes stuff I write in 'notes' gets uploaded to the cloud and is accessible/saved and SOMETIMES NOT! I now only add/edit the notes field WITH USING THE EDIT button. Of course I've asked a million times in the apple store and they say you don't need to use the edit button for notes but ... obviously it's not accurate. Very frustrating.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2017 3:38 PM in response to dantechpro

Totally agree. It drives me CRAZY that sometimes stuff I write in 'notes' gets uploaded to the cloud and is accessible/saved and SOMETIMES NOT! I now only add/edit the notes field WITH USING THE EDIT button. Of course I've asked a million times in the apple store and they say you don't need to use the edit button for notes but ... obviously it's not accurate. Very frustrating.

Mar 2, 2013 10:29 AM in response to cgemme

Hi,

Using the Note field

You can add notes to any contact in Address Book. This makes it easy to keep track of details about a person in your address book.

Select the person in the Name column in Address Book, then click the Note field in the card.

The Note field can be edited at any time, even if the card is not in edit mode.

You could make a dedicated field that requires the edit button...

Using custom labels

You can change the label that appears next to a piece of information on a contact's card. For example, you might want to change "work" to "support" next to a phone number.

Select the contact that you want to change.

Click the Edit button at the bottom of the window.

Click the label next to a field, then choose Custom from the pop-up menu.

Enter a new label for the field.

The new custom label appears on this contact's card only.

If you want to change a specific label on all cards in your Address Book, edit the card template. Choose Address Book > Preferences and click Template. The Template pane also allows you to add other types of fields on contact cards, such as a nickname, job title, birthday, anniversary, and URL. Use the Add Field menu.

Feb 23, 2016 10:04 PM in response to cgemme

I was just having the same issue on iOS 9.2.1. It was annoying me, as I was trying to save an emergency information thing on someones notes that was very important. It turns out that my iPhone was importing some Facebook information and messing up the save data. When I opened up contacts, at the top I had an option to edit groups. Even though my Facebook was untapped, for this particular contact it still saved the information. I think it happened as I saved her info from Facebook on my computer. When I scrolled to her info and opened it, I clicked edit and found at the very bottom I could edit her individual Facebook info or delete it. I found I had to completely delete the Facebook imported info to get the notes field to save as the Facebook and iCloud info wasn't syncing correctly. Hope this might help someone also!

Nov 17, 2016 1:03 PM in response to BDAqua

iOS 10.1.1 Contacts /Address book won't save changes to the "note" field. Need to exit and redo one or two times before notes in note field saved. Sometimes it will work on the second try when I add notes to the note field without using the "edit" option. Normally works on 2nd or 3rd try when I add notes after choosing "edit," however, adding notes to the note field never works when creating a new contact; must save, exit and return than use aforementioned procedures.

Address book won't save changes to note field

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.