Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace one portion of audio with another?

Trying to create a quick short movie using iMovie 11. The movie is a serene shot of a mountain stream, water bubbling over rocks. Just near the end my son goes crazy nuts and starts screaming like a banshee. I want to copy a previous section of audio and replace the screaming section with it. I could do this easily in previous version of iMovie by highlight the new audio section, hit copy, go to the section I want replaced, highlight that section and delete then hit paste to copy in the new audio section.

iMovie 11 is different. I find that doesn't work. How is it done?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 4:31 PM

Sure, you can do this. First, select that portion of your project clip that has the bad sound. Then Right-click/Split Clip. Finally set the volume of this clip to zero.

Now, select a portion of a clip from your event that has good audio. A yellow border should be around it. Drag this and drop it in your project on top of the problem clip at the frame where you want the alternate audio to start. A popup menu will appear. Choose Audio Only.

If this does not work for you, go to iMovie Preferences and make sure that the Advanced Tool are enabled.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2013 4:31 PM in response to TheOS2Guy

Sure, you can do this. First, select that portion of your project clip that has the bad sound. Then Right-click/Split Clip. Finally set the volume of this clip to zero.

Now, select a portion of a clip from your event that has good audio. A yellow border should be around it. Drag this and drop it in your project on top of the problem clip at the frame where you want the alternate audio to start. A popup menu will appear. Choose Audio Only.

If this does not work for you, go to iMovie Preferences and make sure that the Advanced Tool are enabled.

Mar 1, 2013 6:55 PM in response to AppleMan1958

Alright. It took me a while to get it to work and it isn't the most elegant. I was a pro with iMovie 6 and 8 and I hate it when Apple makes major changes like this. They did much the same thing to Preview and for those in the business we end up having to forget previous accomplished skills and suffer through upgrading to what Apple believes is the best way. I have a ton of cam footage to turn into movies and I'm not pleased but you can bet I'll have it all figured out when I get finished editing/producing them all and then Apple will update iLife to v12 and change iMovie all over again. Arghhh

Thanks for the help.

Replace one portion of audio with another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.