Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I go from OS X 10.6.8 to mountain lion

Have Macbook air purchased 2011. operating sys 10.6.8. What must I do to upgrade to Mountain Lion? If I must go to Snow Leopard how to do it.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 4:55 PM

Yes you can. Open the Mac App Store App and search for Mountian Lion, Pay for it and it will download to your Mac. Then you have to start the install by clicking the Continue Button.

7 replies

Mar 1, 2013 7:06 PM in response to kazoojoe

10.6.x, the x is for any POINT Release (it could be 10.6.0 to 10.6.8), IS Snow Leopard. 10.5.x was Leopard and 10.7.x is Lion.

So If you are Running 10.6.8 that is OS X Snow Leopard. Which in numbers is OS "X" (Roman Numerals) = 10 Point 6 (Snow Leopard) + Point release version 8.

So you do have the Mac App Store, it is the circle icon, Blue in color with grey ring, With an A in the center of it.

Mar 2, 2013 5:05 AM in response to kazoojoe

As others have already said, you can simply buy Mountain Lion (Mac OS X 10.8) in the App Store and install it. What nobody mentioned were the precautions that should be taken prior to any major system upgrade!

When you upgrade, you need to do the following:

1) Check all your software for compatibility with the new system.

2) Repair the hard drive with Disk Utility.

3) Make a full backup of your whole system using Time Machine.

4) Ideally, make a second full backup of your whole system using something else, like Carbon Copy Cloner. (I consider two backups to be the minimum.)

5) Wait until you have time to deal with any possible problems that crop up.

6) Install the upgrade.

can I go from OS X 10.6.8 to mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.