Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS Office 2011 SP3 and Mountain Lion Problem?

Early yesterday morning, I started up Word and MS told me there was an update to Office SP3. Being pre-coffee, I told it to go ahead. It took me five hours of troubleshooting and procedure to totally remove and reinstall Office 2011.

It works again now

The issue was that Excel crashed shortly after the splash screen with an error that read; "Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

Word and PowerPoint seemed to run okay in the very limited testing I did.

MS helped - they supplied troubleshooting guides that led me to a fix, albeit a sledge-hammer sort of fix. Of course there's no indication there that anyone else may be having difficulity.

Given that the fix took a complete removal and reinstall, I'm inclined to think there was a corrupted file somewhere - but I can't be sure. I'm very adverse to wasting more hours reinstalling. So I'm a little scared to run that SP3 update again.

Is anyone else seeing issues between MS Office 2011 SP3 and Mountain Lion?

Thank you for any reports, positive or negative.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 2:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 3:02 AM

Yes. Same problem here. Since SP3, Word crashes occasionally. Also, there is a Office365 background process running all the time now.

I'd like to uninstall this horrible piece of junk, but unfortunately, I need to exchange files with associates.

4 replies

Mar 2, 2013 3:23 AM in response to Ambrose McNibble

Ambrose McNibble wrote:

Is anyone else seeing issues between MS Office 2011 SP3 and Mountain Lion?

I did not have an issue with any of the Office 2011 apps after applying the SP3 update. And recently I applied the 14.3.1 update and things are still good.

Did you apply SP3 via the Microsoft Update utility or did you download the installer and then run? I do the later because I have a few Mac's that I need to update.

MS Office 2011 SP3 and Mountain Lion Problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.